Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wad up everyone? I just bought a 2000 ZX9R from someone who was selling it for $500 bucks cuz they said won’t start for them anymore. It’s in amazing condition, and he told me that he’d been using it as his main mode of transportation to work every day for months until it stopped starting all of a sudden.
So I’m new to the motorcycle community, relatively speaking.
I’ve restored and fixed many 50cc-150cc motor scooters but this is one of the first street bikes I have owned and attempted to repair and eventually ride. So bear with me...
It’s problem seems to be spark and fuel delivery related as the battery reads 12.49 V and everything electrical appears to function. The starter engages and I can hear the fuel pump priming as well as a loud clicking when I push start button that sounds like a relay working to me as well. But there is no normal engine cranking fuel/spark noises, only the starter spinning noise.
so I checked it inside the casing and it appears to be positioned correctly and the gears matched tooth for tooth with the larger gear and spins it when the starter gear is spun manually. So it doesn’t look off track or anything.
Anyone think they know where my problem lies?
Plugs are good too, I’ve cleaned them up so they all have nice conductive surfaces to create spark.
there were however two hoses that were not connected to anything in the bike but other than that, everything else seems to be there that’s supposed to as far as I know.
Could use some model specific system diagrams if anyone has some they could post that’d be super helpful as well.
Thanks guys
Very grateful for your technical advice and diagnosis support I’ve read in the various threads I’ve found on here.

·
Registered
243 Posts
So if I've read your post correctly here goes.
Turn Ignition on you here the Fuel pump cycle, Hit the start Button and the starter relay kicks in ( Loud click) and the starter Motor spins but the Engine does NOT turn over.
That sounds like the Starter or Sprag clutch as some people call it (within the Red circle below) is not engaging.
Your problem here is as you've just purchased the Bike with this fault you don't know if this has been an issue leading up to complete failure, The clutch doesn't usually fail catastrophically but wears gradually and this wear shows up as slipping like the Engine starts to turn over then stops with a kinda whirring noise then engages again and this gets worse until it packs in altogether.
How many Miles has the Bike done ?
I'm not saying it's definitely the clutch but does sound like the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Also, 12.49v is a weak battery. Under load it is probably worse. Should be >12.8v or spark is not strong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts