Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been working on a 2000 ZX7R project for a little while now. The other day I took it for a spin to stretch her legs and check the overall status of the bike. About 5 minutes into the ride, at about 60 mph, power to the throttle crapped out. I was cruising down the road, motor still on, but when I twisted the throttle, the bike just continued to coast to a stop. When I came to a stop, the bike wouldn't start and I had to get it towed. We took the gas tank off to check on things. Maybe a fuel pump? Possibly a carb maintenance? Help!! New to the forum!!

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Could be several different things but likely fuel/carb related. Check the vent in the fuel tank, fuel lines not linked/pinched, fuel filter not plugged and pump is working. If this all checks out, you are then into the carbs. Cleaning them meticulously is super important. Also, check that you have fresh fuel in the tank and an adequate supply.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That sounds like a fuel pump related issue unless you managed to kink a fuel line or completely block them.

Only way I could see carbs doing that would be if you managed to plug all carb jets completely at the same time.

Fuel pump is easy enough to test if it is completely dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going this weekend to do some process of elimination type of stuff. Ill update the thread if i figure it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like a fuel pump related issue unless you managed to kink a fuel line or completely block them.

Only way I could see carbs doing that would be if you managed to plug all carb jets completely at the same time.

Fuel pump is easy enough to test if it is completely dead.
Probably the first thing I'm going to check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts