Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a short ride and i noticed my oil pressure light start to flash then became solid, as i was pulling over the bike lost all clutch and started to tick (sound like its coming from the top of the motor) Im hoping it could possibly be a bad cam chain tensioner, has anyone ever had this happen? if so what could be some causes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did happen almost the same with me. The camchain get to loose and it the rubber stuff that is on the top o the valve head cover that loosen, stoped on the oil pan and get sucked by the oil pump that blocked the normal oil circulation.
Result a ticking on the bottom end of the engine. Opened and it was the rod bearings that was damaged.

Remove the oil pan and check the oil filter inside if it is blocked

Sorry about my English but I hope it will help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was on a short ride and i noticed my oil pressure light start to flash then became solid, as i was pulling over the bike lost all clutch and started to tick (sound like its coming from the top of the motor) Im hoping it could possibly be a bad cam chain tensioner, has anyone ever had this happen? if so what could be some causes.
HI did you sort out that problem im having similar issues ,,,only i happened to be tearing down the highway and the pushrod seal came out and dumped most of the oil since then the engine rattles top end

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,672 Posts
what did you do to fix it
HI did you sort out that problem im having similar issues ,,,only i happened to be tearing down the highway and the pushrod seal came out and dumped most of the oil since then the engine rattles top end
You or a bike mechanic needs to tear the engine down and inspect the damage if you're looking to fix your current motor. Cheapest thing to do is to buy a known good salvage motor, do the valve adjustment, cam chain tensioner and cam chain guide replacements. You'll be back on the road in no time.
💵💵

·
Registered
39 Posts
THANKS FOR the reply i usually work on cars and noticed the simular illnesses i,ll prolly just save up the dosh and get the zx9r and service it and drop that in give her that little upgrade she needs .what i need to no.why did it happen in the first place SMH...for nothing was negleted she has 37thou on the clock i think she prolapsed due to old age poor girl 😥😥😒
once again thank for you advice.. when i get her up and running again i,ll shout at ya..

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
THANKS FOR the reply i usually work on cars and noticed the simular illnesses i,ll prolly just save up the dosh and get the zx9r and service it and drop that in give her that little upgrade she needs .what i need to no.why did it happen in the first place SMH...for nothing was negleted she has 37thou on the clock i think she prolapsed due to old age poor girl 😥😥😒
once again thank for you advice.. when i get her up and running again i,ll shout at ya..
I've put about 60k mi. (96k km) on my '93 motor. So, it should have plenty of life left in it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes,,, the unit is solid no leaks and compersion is sound and when she does run nice if you run your finger in the exhaust its prinstine not even any trace of carbon but yes i,ll chech out the top end and shims and watnot oil screen and take it from there but saying that i notice alot of ninja riders mention the shims and valves so i take it these parts are the most vunerable being at the top of the block

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Yes,,, the unit is solid no leaks and compersion is sound and when she does run nice if you run your finger in the exhaust its prinstine not even any trace of carbon but yes i,ll chech out the top end and shims and watnot oil screen and take it from there but saying that i notice alot of ninja riders mention the shims and valves so i take it these parts are the most vunerable being at the top of the block
Well, when the cam chain guides deteriorate, those tiny bits can easily mess up the timing and valve train. The valves need adjustment every 15k-20k miles (24k - 32k km). I adjust mine to the looser end of spec. Personal choice is all. Otherwise, the engine is pretty much bullet proof in stock form.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts