Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Not new to the forum but haven't been on in several years. I have been riding and working on motorcycles for around 10 years. I have owned almost every brand at least once. I recently purchased a cheapo 2000 ZX750 for the cheap price of $125 off copart. It's a stolen recovery bike. It appears that prior to being stolen it was well maintained and cared for. However the thief ruined and trashed it. Painted it black with spray paint ALL OVER, threw on aftermarket LEDs with horrible wiring, drilled screw holes in the frame to avoid getting the right nuts and bolts and was holding it all together with electrical tape. The mirrors are on the wrong sides and held on with tape. Overall the thief abused the bike horribly. That's how it ended up at Copart where I got it for $125 as everyone I guess was afraid of the damage.

I plan to rebuild it to use as my ride for the upcoming season as it appears I won't be done with my Super Blackbird build by Spring. Attached are some pictures of how I got it and the progress so far.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started off tearing it down to see what all needs replaced. Sadly I'll have to replace all fairings as they are spray painted and all cracked. They were held together by screws, nails, bolts, zip ties, glue, rubber bands, strings and rivets. The thief wasn't too bright.

The mirrors were on the wrong sides and held in spot with tape.

The gas tank cap was held on by electrical tape only.

The thief spray painted everything on this bike. Including the frame and forks. Look at the difference from scrubbing with remover vs what the rest looks like.

I cut out all the old wiring and started repairing the harness. This will take a while.

The fairing stay was broken and held together with, you guessed it, electrical tape. The headlights were held in with regular packaging tape so apparently the thief had a wide variety of tapes at their disposal.

Inside the fuel line I found 2 smaller rubber fuel lines. Must have restricted fuel flow quite a bit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder if the original owner saw it in this condition. That would be heartbreaking.
Unfortunately I believe they did. Normally when they are recovered the owner gets notified. At least I did when it happened to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I'm working under the airbox. Normally I do a PAIR delete with block off plates. I can't find any on ebay yet. Anybody have a lead on some?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also removed the plugs, radiator, thermostat and coolant tank. I can honestly say I have no clue of how this bike was running after seeing the plugs. They look to be the original ones and are filthy. The radiator is in good shape along with the thermostat. I did see a ton of blue sealant inside the thermostat housing that I removed. Anyone know if those are prone to leaks?

The last task I did today was starting to unwrap the wiring harness to fix all the ghetto tie ins. I spent around 2 hours unwrapping, cutting and ripping electrical tape, packaging tape, athletic tape, duct tape and what appeared to be double sided tape off of the harness. It was beyond frustrating as every section revealed broken connectors, ghetto wire nuts that weren't connected and split wires. This will take me a few more hours to finish removing before I can splice everything back together and re-wrap. Anyone have a pdf link to the schematic or repair manual?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you remove the ram air? Was the airbox missing or torn up?
Surpringly enough the airbox was in great shape. The ram air parts were in bad shape, half missing and the other half all screwed up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Following this thread with interest. Good luck on the rebuild. Really sad how some idiots trash out a bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Following this thread with interest. Good luck on the rebuild. Really sad how some idiots trash out a bike.
I appreciate it! Ya its sad, worst part is I can tell the actual owner took care of it. The maintenance was done, the fairings were nice, until that idiot stole and ruined it. Im just hoping there's no damage to the engine or trans. For some reason the clutch lever was zip tied to the grip to keep it engaged. Kinda concerned me.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
I'm glad to see you're rescuing this bike. It will be an awesome ride when you get finished.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
I appreciate it! Ya its sad, worst part is I can tell the actual owner took care of it. The maintenance was done, the fairings were nice, until that idiot stole and ruined it. Im just hoping there's no damage to the engine or trans. For some reason the clutch lever was zip tied to the grip to keep it engaged. Kinda concerned me.
please message me your email address.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also not new here but have not been here for a few years.

If you find any damage to forks or swingarm and would consider replacement maybe it would be worth to switch to 10r items. I am making and selling zx7/zx10r spacers in case you decide to go that route

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts