Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 zx6 that had no power at all over 4000 rpms. I figured it was because the carbs were gummed up. (which they were) I got them all cleaned out & put everything back together and now, the bike runs fine again except for the fact that when i let off the throttle, the engine stays revved for a few seconds. Thought it was a needle sticking so I ripped the carbs apart again: didn't fix it. I checked the throttle cable & it seems perfectly fine. As of now, I'm stumped. I don't know where else to look... Help!!! :banghead

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
how high are the revs staying?, sounds like you should look for a leak somewhere in the system, run it without an airbox and check your connections, if not it then check your throttle wires sometimes they get kinks and stay stuck at a certain spot, it happened to me, first time was an incorrectly routed cable that got a permanent kink (from previous owner), I used it as a cruise control for about the 6 months I owned the bike, lol, also check the adjustment on the cables, after replacing the cables it was the adjustment things at the cables as they come off the throttle assembly on the handle bar, if it's too tight on one side it won't let it back as easy as it should

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The throttle snaps right back, the way it should, when I let off of it. The engine will stay revved up equal to the amount of throttle I give it. So let's say I give it throttle up 7000 rpms & then let off it, the bike will stay revved at 7000 rpms for a few seconds before it goes back down. I've checked to see if the throttle bracket is slowly going back down too and it's not. It snaps right back from the throttle all the way to the bracket. That's why I'm stumped. Don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? Well ill try running it with the airbox off first & see what happens. If that doesn't work & it ends up being a bad carb, what do I do? Do I need new carbs or would I be able to re-jet it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Throttle issues

Were you able to resolve this issue? I'm having a similar problem on my '93 ZX6D. It revs to the rpm I want then when I let off the throttle, the butterflies snap shut but it stays at that rpm for about 2 seconds after I let off.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
It's stays idleing high because its running lean (vacuum leak or plugged jet or passage etc.) Or the carbs are way out of synch .

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
No prob this is why I make the big bucks:rotflmao

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well now that I read your post more, there may be some misunderstanding. It isn't idling high, it is temporarily holding rpm after I let off the throttle. For example if I twist it up to 4000rpm then close the carbs, it will hang at 4000 for a few seconds before falling back to idle at 1000rpm. So its a delayed reaction to closing the throttle, not a high idle from getting too much air.

So my guess would be it's some how getting fuel for a few seconds after I let off the throttle. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pic of the bike. Throttle doesn't close all the way. With a little presure u can make it close. Is there a spring that could be getting weak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts