Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys / Gals,

I've been having problems starting my bike for the last few weeks. It normally happens just "once" a day in the morning. Temp out side is usually around 74 or in that general area. When I hit the switch to start the engine the engine will spin over then come to a grinding hault at the starter area. I can sit there and hit the switch numerous times before it starts. I can also put the bike in gear and try to move forward a little against it's will. By doing so it will free up what ever is stuck and start up...I take it that it's the starter going bad or starter clutch? Once startered I don't have this problem anymore through out the day. I was thinking hydro lock but I've been cutting the fuel off at night.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Starter windings are going bad. You're hittling a 'flat spot' on the windings which is an electrically dead area in the starter motor. Luckily, you're able to move the starter ahead just enough to get it to catch at the next winding. Many electrical problems, too, are temperature dependant. As you've found out.

DW

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that's what I figured what was going on. The bike has only 5000 miles on it which is suprising me that the starter is bad. I'll keep an eye out for one....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts