Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I in the right place?
Recently stumbled upon a pair of '84 GPZ750/ ZX750-A2, title's and all. Coming off of the high of repairing an old XS650, I thought I'd have a fun time.
Bikes are obviously in poor shape, you don't get a bike for $100 and expect it to work. Wiring is rotted, I could probably salvage it if I wanted to restore the bike to original function, but for now I'm wanting to get it to minimum viable I.E. running.
Have some pictures, have a laugh at my expense for I have jumped off of a cliff, the bottom of which is at an unknown depth.
If anyone has a guess as to the probability of creating a functional beast outta these things, kindly give me a message, I'd just as well dump them on the curb than fix them.
20200823_192430.jpg
20200823_211544.jpg
20200823_211246.jpg
20200823_211351.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice score if you ask me! Anything can be saved. I bought my ‘83 Zx750A for $550 w/title. It needed tires, starter motor, chain & sprockets, and the carbs cleaned. It’s still not on the road but looks way cooler. If you need some help, PM me.

Before:

Now:

Later, Doug

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Any bike can be restored. Just be realistic about what you want and price to get there. I am doing similar basket case restorations on two 1989 ZX7s. I love a challenge and keeping these classics running.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What’s the plan, make one good one out of the two? It’s kind of unfortunate that it looks like both are missing the same parts, but should be a fun project!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice score if you ask me! Anything can be saved. I bought my ‘83 Zx750A for $550 w/title. It needed tires, starter motor, chain & sprockets, and the carbs cleaned. It’s still not on the road but looks way cooler. If you need some help, PM me.

Before:

Now:

Later, Doug
Wow did you put a ducati single sided swing arm on it? That’s going to be a cool bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What’s the plan, make one good one out of the two? It’s kind of unfortunate that it looks like both are missing the same parts, but should be a fun project!
Sure, someone's already stripped out a bunch of parts, so for now the red one is the one I'm going to attempt to fix.
luckily, I had both carburetor sets. Took the first set all apart, apparently that was a mistake, either way I was unable to actually strip all of the carbs down. everything was stuck.
It's ridiculous, I don't have a choke-rod and that one piece is like $50, if I can even get the original rust pile out.
Not looking forward to spending the $600 plus on a new set of carbs.
Wire harness is pretty rotten, and has been tampered with as well. Ironically, this was supposed to be a "Quick flip" kind of project, I bought an XS650 last Christmas, took about 3 days to get running after being stored on it's side under a house for half a decade. paid $150 for that, and sold it for $800.
I hope I end up liking this one

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wondering what year this tank is, the '84 diagram has the fuel sensor at the bottom of the tank, not the side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Honestly you got a good deal!! Since covid 19 the used bike market is insane!! Looks like a really great project. With title!!! Wow. I woulda dumped them in the garage also for that price!! Keep us up to date... Where are you located??

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Reactions: hightowerash

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I was looking at an 83 gp Z 750 that was hardly running and missing some parts. Guy wanted $3500... Bit steep...
83 was a great/best year for the GPz 750.... not easy to find either.... he will probably get the price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You got a good deal, going down the restoration route is rewarding, but you could also consider upgrading with more modern wheels, suspension, brakes. There has been another thread on this site about upgrading a GPz 750, the attached picture is a ZX9R front end and other mods that make the classic lines of the GPz even better.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
So, did you buy it or just looked till u were "Done Lookin'?"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Never got a chance to go look. Work at USPS has put me in ot everday. My days off keep disapearing. It's about 50 miles away, but has moved down my to do list. Just got a chance to refinance car for a much better rate. I'm back to just sundays off now, which starting nov 1st I goto a 13 day schedule.
Went out last night and sat in the garage and had a few beers with the zx11. With that monster sitting there I am in no hurry to add a second bike. I did however check out a door underneath the garage into the basement. Be a little tricky but I could get a " project" wheeled into the heated basement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts