Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the first service entails? I am thinking of doing it myself. She has 550 miles on her and I think its time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Change the oil, change the fluid in the rear end, and if everything has been working OK, you are good to go.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The dealer only items are marked with a "K" to the left of the service item.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What type of oil????????????
Everybody has their own opinion on this. I used a different break in technique and had it broken in by 100 miles,. I changed the oil at that point with 10-40 dino oil, and changed again at 900 miles with 20-50 synthetic oil. I will use synthetic from this point forward, in 20-50 because it never gets really cold where I live. Changed the rear with 80/90 hypoid gear oil at the 900 mile service.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just had mine serviced at 840 miles. I have the latest (see note below)kawasaki list in front of me and it includes;

engine oil and filter - change
throttle control system and idle - inspect
fuel hose and pipe - inspect
clutch operation - inspect
clutch operation (fluid levels, leakages, condition) - inspect
wheels and tyres - inspect
final gear case oil - replace
brake system (fluid levels, leakages, condition) - inspect
steering play - inspect
bolts, nuts, fasteners - inspect

It's worth noting that initially the dealer did not change the shaft drive oil. It was only when I got them to check with kawasaki, that they obtained an updated schedule including the shaft drive oil!

·
Registered
164 Posts
How much oil is needed for a change with a new filter ?

I have got a space booked in the dealers workshop after the first 50 miles to do my own oil and filter change after a "hard" first hour or so on the bike.

I ran my first FJR in "Soft" under 4k revs .. etc

and my second one "Hard" .. up to the redline a few times thru all the gears (10 miles), then stop for 10 mins to cool down the engine and then repeat , Oil and filter change at 60 miles.

The second one's engine felt stronger right thru the rev range.. and after almost 40k miles it's still quiet as a mouse and uses no oil tween services..

·
Registered
368 Posts
4.4 L or 4.7 U.S. Gal when the filter is removed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know about Croatia, but in the USA you will NOT lose your warranty if you do the maintenance yourself. Just keep the receipts flor the parts to prove you've done the work. If you do something really stupid, like forget to fill the oil back up, then you will have trouble, but otherwise the warranty remains in effect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
First service just done today at 1007 kms after 4 riding days :nana

So voilà:

engine oil and filter - change
throttle control system and idle - inspect
fuel hose and pipe - inspect
clutch operation - inspect
wheels and tyres - inspect
final gear case oil - inspect
brake system - inspect
steering play - inspect
bolts, nuts, fasteners - inspect

Good to ride !

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used Mobil 1 20/50 syn, and Walmart had it on sale for 19.99 for 4.75 lliters. I used amsoil 80/90 synthetic hypoid gear oil for the pumpkin. There is no such thing as bad oil, everyone has their own favorites.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also run Mobil 1 full synth but in 5-50 weight. My temp range is a little different than the American Southwest.
Temps here range from mid summer 35+ C to early spring / late fall riding down to -10 C. Past that the Subaru gets to go !!

ICBM

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, it does get a little toast here in the summer. A cool day is 105 degrees F

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, we might need to call up our lawyer friends for the meaning of this one.
The owner's manual Periodic Maintenance Chart shows a "K" next to Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Hoses, etc.. "K" items "Should be serviced by an authorized Kawasaki dealer" but it doesn't say "must".

Here's what Kawi's C-14 Warranty says in the fine print:

Paragraph 3. OWNER'S OBLIGATIONS. The following obligations must be fulfilled by owner to maintain the validity of the Kawasaki warranty:

(a) Owner must deliver the motorcycle to an authorized Kawasaki motorcycle dealer or equally qualified service facility for inspection, maintenance services and adjustments according to the Periodic Maintenance chart contained in the owner's manual.

Para 4. LIMITATIONS. This warranty shall not apploy to or include any of the following:

(a) Repair or replacement required as a result of (i) accident, (ii) misuse or neglect (iii) lack of reasonable and proper maintenance... etc..

(b) Routine maintenance services and adjustments.

endquote

So there you have it in writing. Personally, I agree that if you kept all receipts and document when you performed the maintenance, that you could make a pretty good argument for complying with "performed reasonable and proper maintenance" and keep the warranty valid.

However, that being said, I intend to have my first service (600 mile) performed by the local Kawi technician so that he can also do a visual inspection on the myriad of other stuff they are supposed to do and that I personally am not familiar with nor have the proper diagnostic tools to check with. e.g. ABS brakes, ECU, clutch, VVT, etc.. If something is amiss, I think the Kawi tech has a better change of spotting it than I. Down the road,,, I'll do my own routine maintenance thank you very much.

To me, it's worth the $200 for my peace of mind on the very first service.

·
Registered
451 Posts
:headscratch :headscratch
There seems to be a problem with Kawasaki deciding whether the final drive gear oil should be replaced at the first service. Some of you have had it done and some havn't.
I for one believe that it should as it takes a lot of stick in the running in period. Can anyone verify and confirm whether it is supposed to be done or not?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts