Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the forum. Just bought a 1999 kawasaki zx9r. As I'm riding and then beginning to slow down and use my brakes I hear a whining noise. It's not really a metallic sound or anything but it sounds like a high pitch zipper noise. I watched you tube videos about my bike and in some videos they have the same braking sound... so I was wondering if that's normal? My brake pads seem to be good so I'm just worried. Let me know... thanks guys

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Cant be sure, but you could pull the Calipers, scrub down the disks with Comet cleanser & double check the pads for wear. Personally, I cant stand the organic pads, they are POS in my book, but maybe a semi-metallic pad would be a better choice... Also, pull the speedo gear assy @ the wheel, make sure it looks good to go

·
Registered
47 Posts
If u can pull the front wheel off while ur doing stuff, check the bearings. Long shot perhaps but u could b changing the side load on the wheel bearings and they could b reaching the end. Probably something else tho. But its aging and has unknown care at this point. Just thoughts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello I'm new to the forum. Just bought a 1999 kawasaki zx9r. As I'm riding and then beginning to slow down and use my brakes I hear a whining noise. It's not really a metallic sound or anything but it sounds like a high pitch zipper noise. I watched you tube videos about my bike and in some videos they have the same braking sound... so I was wondering if that's normal? My brake pads seem to be good so I'm just worried. Let me know... thanks guys
I had the same on my ZX 9R after I installed EBC HH brake pads.. I sold the bike about 2 years ago, and the brakes were excellent, very happy with them.
The sound was just as you describe, I got used to it. Loved those brake pads, will put them on my GSX S1000 when the time comes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2, a 98 and a 2000 and both make this noise. I normally describe as the sounds cicadas make in the summer. Happens with OEM pads and EBC-HH pads. Likely no problem at all but it wouldnt be a bad idea just to check your wheel bearings anyway.
Blain mentioned pulling speedo gear. On this bike the speedo is run from a pulse counter on the countershaft sprocket.

98-99 have 6 pot calipers on the front. If you don't change brake fluid every 3-4 years sometimes one of them will stick. If you didn't get a good history on with the bike I would also recommend a brake fluid flush

1 - 6 of 6 Posts