Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you read my other post you know that I bought a 99 zx9r with a bad tranny (3d and 4th gear). I've been riding it a bit to see if everything else works alright and it seems like the clutch has problems engaging in first if I give it any kind of considerable throttle. The best quote I could get from a shop was $900-1100 to fix the tranny. Then I might be stuck replacing the clutch too. So...I'm thinking...maybe I would be better off just swapping the entire engine.

Questions:

1) Could the clutch problem have something to do with the bad tranny?

2) Will a 98 engine fit a 99 without any changes being necessary (ECU, wiring, etc.)?

3) Just out of curiosity, about how much does an engine weigh?

4) Any general advice???

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been looking for a 99' ZX9 engine and they seem a little hard to come by. They want at least a grand plus shipping. Your best bet would be to do the labor yourself or a close mechanically inclined friend. The parts are in the $400 range so the rest is labor. Maybe you can search around for a different shop to do this. Have the gears undercut by APE or someone so you don't have anymore problems. I installed an EVO shift star kit to keep down on bending the shift forks. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
98 and 99 are the same motor, the problem with the clutch could be because of the tranny and or the other way around, and you would be much better off just paying to have the tranny fixed by a certifed tech. I am one and also have a 98 zx9r that i am overhauling the engine on right now. If you have any questions please let me know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have this problem , then its a full strip down and replacement gearbox (very expensive) kawasaki fixed this problem on the E and the F models but rumour has it, the E model gear box fits with modifications . But all C models have this problem waiting to happen none are immune from it, and it doesnt make a blind bit of diffrence how hard or soft you ride it , its just the 1mm contact point on the dog legs that wear , but its a full engine out and strip down , so bear this in mind .

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
:headscratch
C model (98-99) motors do not swap with E & F (00-03) as a blanket statement. Maybe the C to E will, but the C or E to F will not, without structural fabrication due to the location of the engine mounts.

This has been covered in other threads. Do as much research on here as you can before starting an engine swap project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
99' zx9r

I have a 99' zx9r that blew a rod right through the front of the motor. does anyone have any places that are reasonable i could call around to and find a complete motor?

·
Registered
1 Posts
98 and 99 are the same motor, the problem with the clutch could be because of the tranny and or the other way around, and you would be much better off just paying to have the tranny fixed by a certifed tech. I am one and also have a 98 zx9r that i am overhauling the engine on right now. If you have any questions please let me know.
I have a question. the transmission when out on my 1999 zx9r. what newer engine is a direct match if any?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts