Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a 1999 Zx9r early March(just before quarantine)for 1000$(from a guy Big C).He claimed the carbs were cleaned even tho you could tell the bike was stored inside for a while. However he started it up,sounded beautiful. Go to rev it it dies..the throttle was reversed. —Fast forward to now— I removed the carbs from the bike,got them cleaned+jets replaced (still sputtering 1st all the way up) changed spark plugs. I’ve looked into the gas tank and either the liner has gone to plastic bits or this guy spilled paint in the tank.I’ve cleaned the petcock out any answers on how to dissolve paint liner? Long list...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a shop use that Kream liner on my rusty tank. It seemed to work decently and is holding up. It comes with a chemical bath I guess its acetone or something to etch and strip rust. Just watch you protect the paint the best you can.... Buddy let a big drop down the side of my tank. Teaching me that it's better to do it yourself. I've heard vinegar works too but if it's already been lined before you may need a stronger chemical.

After the tank clean make sure your draw straws on the petcock are clean and not damaged, replace the fuel filter and check the air filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a shop use that Kream liner on my rusty tank. It seemed to work decently and is holding up. It comes with a chemical bath I guess its acetone or something to etch and strip rust. Just watch you protect the paint the best you can.... Buddy let a big drop down the side of my tank. Teaching me that it's better to do it yourself. I've heard vinegar works too but if it's already been lined before you may need a stronger chemical.

After the tank clean make sure your draw straws on the petcock are clean and not damaged, replace the fuel filter and check the air filter.
I’ve got after it with a power washer and air compressor. I’d say about less than 20% is in the tank. I’ve cleaned out the peacock the straws & values. The tank is replaceable, I will updated when I’m done..
after this process I think I’m in need of a tune the carbs were cleaned and rejetted Before I knew of the paint. The bike sputters in 1st... in 1st say about 30 yard the bike jerks back, sounds like a whined up toy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so the bike is running a lot better actually going places now haha. Still 4- 5 gear little bogging way less then it was. Going to go about syncing the carburetor and adjusting the fuel mixture screw running lean I think, smells like gas white smoke on the start up. ... where should I start mixture screw? Carbs number 2-3 maybe 2-4 pop warming up the bike and then after 10 minutes It stops and the bike is fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts