Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new here. My name is David and i really need some insight. I recently bought a 99 zx9 . Have been riding hard for a month now. Two days ago it all came to a halt after gassing up at the store. Filled up and started out and the bike went half a mile and started sputtering just like it was starving for fuel. It stalled out and wouldnt start back unless i closed the choke off. It will idle( with choke closed at around 3000rpm) open idles normally but runs rough due to gassing spark plugs out with choke being closed. - Im assuming. I have a 98 zx9 parts bike ive been swapping this and that out on trying to solve my problem but to no avail. Ive changed ECU, fuel pump, relay, checked air hoses, fuel hoses, etc. When you first turn switch on you NO LONGER hear fuel pump prime. Fuel pump is good because it turns on when straight wired to battery. Bike still wont rev up tho. Can someone please tell me whats going on??

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,277 Posts
Have you replaced the fuel pump relay with a new one?

Are the fuel lines pinched?

Edit: questions

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
(Ive read that a ZX-11 will run w/o a fuel pump, so I imagine a ZX9 will too). Pull the Carbs, Nuke them from Orbit, then thoroughly clean them, especially the Pilot Jets.

Only way to be sure.

and then buy a Factory Pro Jet kit

Reactions: 92Ninjas

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,277 Posts
If you have a local motorcycle shop, bring the carbs to them with the rebuild kit and have them ultrasonic clean them a few times; rebuild and bench sync them. That'll give you a good baseline.

I used something like this single carb sync tool to sync the carbs. It takes a little longer but, it works.

It looks like #2 carb is your baseline carb. Sync #1 to #2. Then #3 to #4. Then sync the first pair of carbs to the 2nd pair of carbs. This all based on the vacuum readings you get. There are sync screws in between the carbs that will adjust them individually and in pairs

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
You can also manually synch the carbs to @ least get in the baseline. #2 as a reference, use a small drill bit that neatly slips underneath the slide. Then use this to dial in the remaining 3 carbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts