Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I know this is my first post, but I did search before posting and couldn't find anything. I'm somewhat interested in a 1999 ZX-6R that's for sale in the Detroit, MI area. The owner claims that it is a Limited Edition with the color being 'Micra Black.' It changes color from a dark purple to black, depending on how the sunlight hits it. I live a couple hours away from Detroit, so I can't just drive over and check it out to see if it looks like it's obviously been repainted. You can see the ad here: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/376067343.html

I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know if this bike is for real, or if it's just a regular ZX-6R that has been repainted, for one reason or another. I want to know before I go wasting half a day and 50 bucks in gas to go check it out, only to find that it's been repainted, which may mean that it's been wrecked. I talked to the owner, who says the title is clean, but he's the 2nd owner, so it's hard to know what happened before he bought it.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

PS - If you think that's a bad/shady deal, or if you personally would just pass on it, please let me know, because I'd love some outside perspective. The price seems fair to me (average blue book), but I don't know a whole lot about the ZX-6Rs, as I ride a Yamaha FZR600, and before that, a Kawi EX500. Thanks again!

·
Registered
462 Posts
That's funny. a 99' 6R LE. I thought that's be pretty big new and I'd be aware of it, but apparently i don't know about every sportsbike there is. O? Wait! I do. What's that? Theres no such thing as a LE 6R? Ever?! unless you count the regular 03-06 600 cc machine as an "LE" (which no one does) there is no such thing. If it's good bike and runs though who cares. I'm not so sure about how desperate this guy is though, that's kinda scary. Paperwork is pretty important on a bike like that. Does the title claims it's an "LE"? Ask him that!

·
Registered
649 Posts
That is a stock color for '99 (Purple Black Mica)... I found some other pix of the exact same bike. As far as it being 'Limited Edition' - NO..... what is so limited edition about it. Some people refer to this color as 'RARE'. With the exception of some sort of fender eliminator and flush mnt signals (and exhaust of course) it looks stock. I bought an '01 for the same damn price with only 4k miles on it.... offer as little as possible (2800???) and see where that goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Good to know that while it's a stock color, it's certainly not a 'Limited Edition.' I'm gonna call him tomorrow afternoon, see if the bike is still available, and see how flexible he is on the price. If he's flexible and won't consider negotiating on the price, I'm not gonna bother driving up there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
wasnt there a limited edition 6r in 02? with the 636 motor in the last year of the old bodystyle? or was it just called 6r?

anyways sorry i know it has nothing to do with the bike in question, just was curious if i was remembering correctly

good luck with the purchase. personally i would pass at that price, i think if you searched hard enough and were patient you could get an 03-04 with half the miles for close to the price. talk him down and check it out very thoroughly or just keep looking

·
Registered
649 Posts
+1, I would seriously look around and see what's out there... wake up early, stay up late.... you'll find a great deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...The search continues. Met the guy in northern Toledo, spent about an hour checking out the bike. It looked really good (I liked the color a lot more than I thought I would), started right up, ran well. I rode it around the parking lot, then up and down the road, it felt strong, ran great, didn't slip in any of the gears or anything like that.

Still, there were a few items of conern: The mileage was damn near 21,000, I believe the left fork seal leaked (he said it was just some leakage from having it tied down on the trailer...whatever), the oil seemed a little low (to which he replied that 'his mechanic' told him to keep it just below the bottom of the sight glass), and he said that when he rode with buddies, they would cruise at like 120-150, so I'm guessing it saw long runs of high revolutions, probably lots of redline getting there too. Regardless, it was very clean, and I really did like it, so I offered him $3200 (considering the fork seal and the mileage). He basically laughed at it and said no, absolutely not. He told me on the phone yesterday that he was somewhat negotiable on price, but apparently not. If he would have simply told me that he wasn't going to consider anything under $3400, that would have saved me an entire f***ing afternoon, and his time as well :angry He rejected my offer with an extremely arrogant attitude, pretty much acted like I was a worthless POS, so I helped him push the bike back on the trailer and we left. Sucks, but such is life. At least now I've ridden a ZX-6R and know that I LOVE how it feels and rides.

I'm now gonna look into this: http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/378392860.html
I'm not going to pay $4k for it, but I'll see if I can get him down to $3500, assuming it's in great shape. We'll see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts