Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! ...... this is giving me the sh!ts, every so often my 3rd cylinder drops out .. i.e. not firing, I have replaced all my ignition leads/sparks, checked all carbies (we're not icing up, far to hot for that) and now I'm about to start looking for a short in my wiring.
Last night I found my dash lights were not working and after doing some looking around on the net I found this.

http://www.kgrant.co.uk/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2169

I am running a dyna 2000 ignition system with coils and leads, K&N filter and a Scorpion exhaust, none are the cause of my problems (I'm fairly sure)
I have not wired into any part of the wiring loom as this fella had done, and it just comes and goes with no apparent reason.

Anyone had this problem or heard of it?
I would love to know where I should start looking

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I have checked everywhere and at long last have traced it down to a coil...... total bum, check the coils one moment and everything is fine ... the next and it's all dead. What a pain in the arse this has been.
^&x*# 7 bloody days doing test rides after altering something. One good thing tho, I can now strip my bike in VERY quick time LOL so I suppose this is my bonus.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Glad to here you have found the problem:clap ....and the whole bike stripping thing sound cool too. Hope you fix here up soon....Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unrelated rambling: I once worked in a snowmobile shop. I came across a 2 cylinder machne that would intermittantly run on just one cylinder. I replaced the coil ,points, condenser, and spark plug lead with the components of the opposite cylinder. It still had the same problem, and on the same cylinder, even though all the components had been switched. What I eventually changed was the handlebar mounted kill switch. It was a switch that applied a ground to each ignition system(magneto). It had a fault in it that would allow it to ground out one side of the ignition system and not have any affect on the other! Dam did that have me wondering for those 3-4 hours of dyno time.
Moral of this story, persistance pays off, or who gives a dam what this old fart did 30 years ago!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Man i know how you feel, i've had so many of thoughs with my MX6, it's not even funny.....days and days spent on trying to find a problem and the only thing it is, is a vacume line or a connecter not on all the way, or the best one, your ground not tight on the chasy.......:rant:angry

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah..... I checked all those too LOL

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hey when we decided to be a part-time mechanic we knew the consiquenses(sp) and these were some of them......so i'm not conplaining :grin !!!!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WTF it's back again...... new coil and I still have the problem. Now it's only when it's hot.
So I'm pulling the carbs to bits and checking everything else again.
I really have no idea where the trouble is coming from.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have you checked the contact on the ignition rotor. It may have some carbon buildup on the cantact. The pickup may be bad or the timing rotor may be your problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ZX9Racer said:
Have you checked the contact on the ignition rotor. It may have some carbon buildup on the cantact. The pickup may be bad or the timing rotor may be your problem. Good luck.
Yep it was the pickup...... yet to get a newie so I'm bog stock running at the mo.
Took some time but at least its sorted now:mfclap

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yea congrats dude...i know my A$$ would be pissed as hell cause i have NO patience id probably kick the bik over and say sorry later or just take her to a shop...your a much better man than I!!!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL ..... I did take it to a shop and they didn't find anything (cost $400 for 4 & a half weeks) plain waste of money with no transport. I think I'll stick to finding and fixing things myself.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my brain fades ... I thought this took three months to fix ... quick check and it was 6 months.
Dang ... very glad I haven't done anything like this again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts