Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
I'm new to this and hope that maybe I could get some advise. I have a 98 ZX7R that I just got done some major work to. I am at the point of starting it but from what I can tell I have no spark to the plugs.! I bought the bike with a spun rod bearing and I have fixed that but I don't know if there was any problems with the bike besides what I had done to it. I have a manuel but it does not go into much detail. I have checked my coils and I have the correct ohms sOmething like 2.5 to 3.5. I also have to jump the starter relay to get the engine to turn over but no spark. I read a little bit and there are diags from bad alternator rectifiers to bad ignition switches and even bad coils. One thing I did notice is that the connector for the alternator is melted and when I have the key on the plug comming from the harness has power on both wires? That's not supposed to to be. Correct? There is a list of small issues with this bike but for now I would like to see If I can get it started. All the help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
well i have a few ideas, it could be several without any other info and the fact you just did a major task such as removing the motor. If we were in a perfect world and everything was assembled right. There are a few components that if failed would cause your issue. The fuel pump relay is tied into every aspect of the ignition system as well as the ic igniter. but if you left something disconnected...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
also the fact you have to jump the relay and the melted connector (red flag!!!) when wiring is melted it usually means too much amperage went through it... (possible short) Are you getting a green neutral light? if you hit the start button do you hear anything click? when you jump the relay, does your tach indicate rpm of the motor spinning? have you checked the ignition fuse in the junction box under the main seat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Double checked...

In response to both replays, all connectors are good except the ones that go to the headlamps and turn signals. The green 30 amp fuse is not blown. And when I hit the the start button the fuel pump does prime. I do have a green neutral light and I also have my red oil light on as well. I did notice when the key in on and oil and neutral lights are on none of my park light come on. The tach does not show engine revolutions. I have good ground to the engine and I have power to my coils. The melted connector is from the main harness and goes to the alternator. I tested for power on that connector and found that when key is off there is power on the white wire and when key is on there is power on both wires. Sound like it could from the ignition cylinder? I haven't checked up there but I have read in this forum that it could be a problem. Thanks for responding. Bike shops are so expensive these days gotta save every dollar you can.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Check the grey wire at the CDI for 5 volts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it's another data md I thought I would check connectors and ignition wires. Turns out that after removing the ignition I thought I'd hit that starter button to see what happens and the starter relay charged and spun the starter. So I checked for spark and there it was too. I put new spark plugs and put new gas and just kept at it and finally it started and ran pretty good. Now I have to see about that alternator harness and see what's going on there. I think some where in the ignition harness there's gotta be an open so I'll keep checking that. Thanks for the input. On the alternator harness when I have the connector from the harness and check with a test light I get power on the small wire when the ignition key is turned on. That shouldn't be because that touches the ground lead to the alternator right? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Should be 6v, not 5.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey man I have the exact same bike mine turns over but won't start i had this problem initially and found that the wire harness was melted from the cdi box forward I bought a parts bike to rebuild the rest of my bike so I took the wire harness from it and the cdi box the bike started but would only run if you barely held the throttle I managed to ride it it would cut off when I slowed down started again a few times and now it's just turning over and i have no spark again what made me comment was your question about the green nuetral button I can't get that light to come on or the bike to stay in nuetral unless I hold it in nuetral what could be causing that? And could that be causing my bike to not start? I have cleaned the carbs and fuel system tested the fuel pump I've replaced a ton of parts at this point any advice is dearly appreciated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts