Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie Question.
And rebuild is too strong a word.
Ive seen a number of posts that casually mention flushing/renewing shock fluid and recharging the Nitrogen. The Shop manual I have says to not do anything to the shock at all. Can anyone give me more specific info on what/how to do a basic servicing of the stock shock? What to open...what to clean...literally where to start and what procedure to follow? Im eventually going to upgrade to new but Id like to first renew the fluids and install a new Racetech spring and basicly practice pulling it apart and getting it back together.
Thanks in Advance,
LLOYD

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Hi Lloyd. Im @ 70k miles running the OEM nitrogen but upgraded the spring about 15k miles ago.

Working Great!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lloyd, first thing. Find a local source for charging. This can be difficult depending on your location.
Make sure you have the proper tools for this. I needed a tool for the valve on my rear shock and thankfully made a grinder wrench work. As for renewing fluids, search YouTube for videos on this very subject. Typed words are a lot less informative if you have no idea what I'm calling the lower spring retainer... pro tip - buy a used shock from Ebay. Then you can learn about valving, spring rates and what fluid to use. How to "burp" the shock. Sag rates and the different pressures used.

I just did all 3 of mine, rear being a replacement remote reservoir shock. Bikes not made it out of the garage as it's still in it's 2nd incarnation... lol

My rear disassembled. You can see the needed tool for the valve, left side. Yours wont look like this. The body of the shock isn't opened up as it didn't need to be. Just renewing the fluid and cleaning the shock. Because of the tricky installation of this shock, the hose was loose and oil was everywhere.

This pic is right after I replaced the rear shock, swing arm, and plastic tail section because of the remote reservoir.
In the background you can see the old swingarm and the forks that are now rebuilt and installed. It's getting closer to leaving the shed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Depending on what type of riding you do and what kind of ride you want, you might consider installing a ZZR1200 shock.

I tried rebuilding my stock unit (it's not difficult) but it was still like riding a jack hammer. I installed a ZZR1200 shock, and modiffied the stock linkage. It is much more compliant, but more suited to touring than canyon strafing. I have a write-up on this site if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Race Tech #240 spring is a pinch over $100, well worth the cost.

Reactions: Old-n-fast
1 - 6 of 6 Posts