Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1996 zx9r (blowing main 30a fuse instantly)

4K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Daisy 
#1 ·
Heelllpppp! my zx9r was purchased used and abused and in need of work but ran pretty well. one day while trying to cold start it, my electric start started to sound like it wasnt getting enough juice from the battery, then completelty stoped working but lights/dash and everything else worked.

I tried push starting it after the electric start failed, on the first attempt at releasing the clutch the bike lost all power (dash/lights/etc) and has been blowing the 30A main fuse on the starter silenoid instantly upon trying to install a new one, all fuses have been removed on the main panel and the 30A on the starter silenoid still blows instantly, checked for shorts but im sure its something a lot less sinester!

On a side note, of the three wires running from the starter silenoid (thick white/ skinny orange-yellow / skinny black-yellow) the 30A will only blow when you attempt to plug in the skinny black-yellow wire on the silenoid.

See less See more
#3 ·
Disconnect the cable from the starter motor. If the fuse doesn't blow that's your problem. If it does, check the solenoid next.
Also, there's a relay in the back of the fuse box. Mine had similar symptoms and it looked like this

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/Daisy4Doors/Kawasaki/new9_1184.jpg
Just unhooked the relay from the starter motor, still blew, not sure how to check the solenoid relay itself other than replacing it with one off ebay :headscratch . Also purchased a "used but fully operational" fuse box so i doubt its that.

After doing sum research, it seems the regulator / rectifier is what causes this problem in most situations, not sure where either of these is on this bike.

#4 ·
A lot of bikes have an external reg/rec but ours is in the alternator.
You could try unplugging the solenoid and bridging the main cables. Mine started when I did that - and its quite possible that the issue with my solenoid fried the fuse box, as I hadn't checked it beforehand.
In the end the solenoid just decided to work on its own and I only had to replace the fuse box, so I'll never know what actually caused it.
There are only 4 screws on the back of your fuse box. Can't hurt to have a look.

#8 ·
No im not sure where to get one, purchased this bike very used :lol , the screwdriver or in my case kitchen knife technique worked, heard the starter spinning / saw the pistons moving ( carbs are off being rebuilt ) so I guess its a faulty solenoid relay? :headscratch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.