Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 1996 ZX9R with 32,000 miles for a few hundred bucks. For how cheap I bought it, I knew that something was probably terribly wrong with the bike but I wasn’t too concerned since I bought it purely as a project before I learned to ride. I drained the oil the other day to find antifreeze mixed in and then drained the antifreeze to find oil in there as well. This bike was initially neglected and left outside but the previous owner got it running and I have video proof of that. He stated that the bike was overheating and I’m guessing it just shut off on him and he hasn’t messed with it since. I’m expecting this to be a blown head gasket but does anyone else have any other ideas to what could cause this? I’m in the process of taking the engine out to get a better look but need some help on what to look for.
I’ve added a photo of what the oil and antifreeze looked like and there seems to be some sort of muck as well.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Head gasket. Explains the cross contamination and the over heating. Now you just need to figure out how much damage PO did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply! I’m hoping not too much damage but you never know with sports bikes. Hoping to keep this around for another 20k+ miles. I’ll be taking the engine out and apart hopefully this Friday, photos will be provided with an update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts