Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I have owned my 1996 ZX7R for 10 years and it broke down on me for the first time ever last week while out on a ride. It was running like a dog but I put that down to first time out in 2012, although I had started it a few times over winter. It wouldn't restart and its not run since. I've checked the spark plugs and its like bonfire night but I've replaced them anyway for good measure. Battery is cranking the engine nicely. There appears to be tons of fuel getting into the engine because it spits it out through the plug holes when the plugs are out. My gut feeling is that it is getting too much fuel / flooding suggesting a carb float not shutting but I'm not sure enough. I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas before I'm forced to give in and take it in. Cheers.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Try draining each float bowl individually first with the gas off then back on for a few seconds to see if you can "wash" any crap out of there . This usually unsticks the floats if there stuck also . Refill the carbs and try to run it again . If that doesn't work its time for a carb rebuild .

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Drain the bowls, pull the plugs and clean them off real fast. Then crank the bike a couple times to push the abundance of fuel out.

Put the plugs back in, fill carbs up (put it in 1st gear, clutch out, push starter and the pump should cycle).

Give it a shot again.

If it still just cranks and cranks and cranks, check the voltage of the grey wire in the ignition harness. If it is anything but 6v... tada! Try charging the battery fully too. If its kind of weak it might still turn the bike over just fine but not have enough voltage to compensate for the shitty wiring harness these things have. If the battery voltage is too low, the grey wire might also be too low even though the starter has more than enough voltage.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Hi All,
I have owned my 1996 ZX7R for 10 years and it broke down on me for the first time ever last week while out on a ride. It was running like a dog but I put that down to first time out in 2012, although I had started it a few times over winter. It wouldn't restart and its not run since. I've checked the spark plugs and its like bonfire night but I've replaced them anyway for good measure. Battery is cranking the engine nicely. There appears to be tons of fuel getting into the engine because it spits it out through the plug holes when the plugs are out. My gut feeling is that it is getting too much fuel / flooding suggesting a carb float not shutting but I'm not sure enough. I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas before I'm forced to give in and take it in. Cheers.
If you have never cleaned the carbs or changed the in line fuel filter then start there.I would think you have sediment or rust from the tank in the carbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that posted a reply.
Problem turned out to be #1 Carb float needle seized in open position and #2 needle partially open. Pump was throwing so much fuel into pots 1 and 2 that it flooded the plugs and put the fire out.
Had the carbs balanced professionally after rebuild and its spot on again. Happy Days

Cheers

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
:thumbup I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts