Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fighting this bike since I got it. It's real close.

Outside mains 162
Inside mains 160
Idle jets 40
2 1/4 turns out on pilots
Floats at 13.5mm

Now when fully choked it revs up like suppose to but then slowly comes down on its own and dies. Have to stay on gas to keep it running.

Also when riding and pulling in on clutch coming to a stop it idles below 1k almost dies I have to stay on fuel. But when it's warmed up and not Riding it idles about 1200. And when cooling fans turn on it idles way down to 900 also.

It pulls fine and revs fine just these issues that I think are all related.

I'm wondering if it's a float height issue??

Any help would be great Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Drop the idle Jets back to 38. Pull ALL the Pilot Jets and verify you can see day light thru them. If not, clean/replace them with a very small wire starting OPPOSITE of the direction of gas flow. Raise Jet needles 1 or 2 notches. Buy K&N air cleaner, Replace inline gas filter. Seriously think about replacing Fuel filters/lines as well.

FYI: Im running your settings with STOCK exhaust..... so u may have to bump those Mains up to 164/162 to really get in the ballpark

Reactions: jcwilliams

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drop the idle Jets back to 38. Pull ALL the Pilot Jets and verify you can see day light thru them. If not, clean/replace them with a very small wire starting OPPOSITE of the direction of gas flow. Raise Jet needles 1 or 2 notches. Buy K&N air cleaner, Replace inline gas filter. Seriously think about replacing Fuel filters/lines as well.

FYI: Im running your settings with STOCK exhaust..... so u may have to bump those Mains up to 164/162 to really get in the ballpark
how many turns out are you running on your pilot screws?

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
raised needles 1 notch going to see what happens

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
how many turns out are you running on your pilot screws?

2.5 turns

Trust me its the pilot jets, they r plugged and possibly the lil orifices just before the butterfly valves as well. If Pilots are plugged it wont run under 3-4 grand because the idle circuit is all fewked up. Jet Needles work with the transition from off idle to open throttle, the MAIN JET arena, they dont do shit if the Pilots r plugged until 4k or so.

Think about it, the bike is TWENTY FOUR YEARS OLD...... Carbs probably have never been cleaned.... its about due.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts