Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fighting this bike since I got it. It's real close.

Outside mains 162
Inside mains 160
Idle jets 40
2 1/4 turns out on pilots
Floats at 13.5mm

Now when fully choked it revs up like suppose to but then slowly comes down on its own and dies. Have to stay on gas to keep it running.

Also when riding and pulling in on clutch coming to a stop it idles below 1k almost dies I have to stay on fuel. But when it's warmed up and not Riding it idles about 1200. And when cooling fans turn on it idles way down to 900 also.

It pulls fine and revs fine just these issues that I think are all related.

I'm wondering if it's a float height issue??

Any help would be great Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Drop the idle Jets back to 38. Pull ALL the Pilot Jets and verify you can see day light thru them. If not, clean/replace them with a very small wire starting OPPOSITE of the direction of gas flow. Raise Jet needles 1 or 2 notches. Buy K&N air cleaner, Replace inline gas filter. Seriously think about replacing Fuel filters/lines as well.

FYI: Im running your settings with STOCK exhaust..... so u may have to bump those Mains up to 164/162 to really get in the ballpark

Reactions: jcwilliams

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Duplicate

Reactions: jcwilliams

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drop the idle Jets back to 38. Pull ALL the Pilot Jets and verify you can see day light thru them. If not, clean/replace them with a very small wire starting OPPOSITE of the direction of gas flow. Raise Jet needles 1 or 2 notches. Buy K&N air cleaner, Replace inline gas filter. Seriously think about replacing Fuel filters/lines as well.

FYI: Im running your settings with STOCK exhaust..... so u may have to bump those Mains up to 164/162 to really get in the ballpark
how many turns out are you running on your pilot screws?

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
raised needles 1 notch going to see what happens

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
how many turns out are you running on your pilot screws?

2.5 turns

Trust me its the pilot jets, they r plugged and possibly the lil orifices just before the butterfly valves as well. If Pilots are plugged it wont run under 3-4 grand because the idle circuit is all fewked up. Jet Needles work with the transition from off idle to open throttle, the MAIN JET arena, they dont do shit if the Pilots r plugged until 4k or so.

Think about it, the bike is TWENTY FOUR YEARS OLD...... Carbs probably have never been cleaned.... its about due.

·
Registered
594 Posts
raised needles 1 notch going to see what happens

Take a good look at the pilot jets, When Blaine says, see if you can see light thru them he really means it. Those jets passageways are very very small. Take them out and go out and hold them up to the sun, If you see a glow of light there clear. if you see nothing clean them, If fact for good measure clean out the ones you think are clean.
Carbs are very mechanical. If you get all the jets and passageways clear and no vacuum leaks they will work.
Also, and I might be wrong but isnt the 2 inside cylinders supposed to have the bigger main jets???

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Take a good look at the pilot jets, When Blaine says, see if you can see light thru them he really means it. Those jets passageways are very very small. Take them out and go out and hold them up to the sun, If you see a glow of light there clear. if you see nothing clean them, If fact for good measure clean out the ones you think are clean.
Carbs are very mechanical. If you get all the jets and passageways clear and no vacuum leaks they will work.
Also, and I might be wrong but isnt the 2 inside cylinders supposed to have the bigger main jets???

You are correct Sir. I missed that, they need to be switched, Outer cylinders are liking it, but inner cylinders are too lean...go to 164's for the inner cylinders. I think its because since the inner cylinders run a bit hotter, the Kawy Engineers thought that throwing a lil extra gas in there would kool it down a bit...

Over the decade Ive owned my ZX-11 Ive broken the carbs down 3 times, to clean the pilots. On the 3rd breakdown I bought new jets, since, as brought up by several People, getting to aggressive with the wire can enlarge the orifice beyond spec.

I know I come off as a Salesperson for Factory Pro, but their shit works & works very well. They use a different spring and a different tapered Jet Needle then stock. Really makes the ZX come alive...

·
Registered
594 Posts
You are correct Sir. I missed that, they need to be switched, Outer cylinders are liking it, but inner cylinders are too lean...go to 164's for the inner cylinders. I think its because since the inner cylinders run a bit hotter, the Kawy Engineers thought that throwing a lil extra gas in there would kool it down a bit...

Over the decade Ive owned my ZX-11 Ive broken the carbs down 3 times, to clean the pilots. On the 3rd breakdown I bought new jets, since, as brought up by several People, getting to aggressive with the wire can enlarge the orifice beyond spec.

I know I come off as a Salesperson for Factory Pro, but their shit works & works very well. They use a different spring and a different tapered Jet Needle then stock. Really makes the ZX come alive...
When I first got my 98 11 from a dead stop if you didnt get the rpms up and fan the clutch the bike would kinda fall on its face and the motor would rattle. I think it was you that has said you wernt a big fan of Dynojet but I put one of their kits on. Basicly followed the instructions and fattened it up along with a timing advance, K&N filter and that problem went away. I never even changed out the exhaust. It looked bitchen exactly the way it was. That bike for me was perfection, It fit my body and build perfect. 600 miles in a day no problem !!!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
It is outer cylinders (#1 and #4) that needs the larger MJ.
Inner cylinders (#2 and #3) needs the smaller MJ.
It always have been that way and it is what the manuals are saying.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It is outer cylinders (#1 and #4) that needs the larger MJ.
Inner cylinders (#2 and #3) needs the smaller MJ.
It always have been that way and it is what the manuals are saying.
Thanks Claude.... Well, I stand corrected..

OUCH, that hurts :)

That will teach me to post technical specs from memory after my 4th Beer...

My apologies.....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
That was the general idea.... JC should still bump up the Main Jets 1 more set to accommodate the free flowing Header

Reactions: Chevy Fan Attic

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am awaiting my Factory Pro jet Kit and BMC air filter, I have a 4° ignition advancer on way as well, soon carbs off and a good cleaning, may replace intake boots and l;ines as well. Looking for info on block off plates , is this worth doing?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I like mine...... i think I would do the Clutch spring tensioner fix first.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts