Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, new ninja owner here. I recently purchased a 1996 Ninja zx-9r and the rear tire needed to be replaced. So I searched the specs online and found the rear tire size to be 180/55 17 so that's what I ordered. But today, I looked on the tire thats on the bike right now and it says 190/50 17....The rim is the stock rim as far as I know so can you put different size tires on the rim? Did I order the wrong size? Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I were you I'd run a 190/50 or a 190/55.

I ran a 200/50 on my 00' zx9, on a RC component wheel which is stock width.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't have a problem with that except I already bought the 180/55. Everywhere I look it says that 180/55 is the size of the rear tire for my bike so does the fact that a 190/50 is installed mean that I have a non-stock wheel?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, someone has replaced the 180 with a more popular 190 series tire. You can run the 180/55 no problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I always ran 180/55/ZR-17's on my 97 if that helps any. It's what every workshop manual recommends. It sounds like someone wanted a more progressive turn in, although who knows what'd do to line stability on a big bike like that. It's really your decision, try them both and see what works for you. I personally thought the factory recommended tire size was good, but that's just me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks guys, I'm just going to stick with the 180/55 because I already bought it. Maybe next time I'll try out the 190/50.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Read up a little on tire sizes and the effects it has on the handling of your bike, that could save you a lot of $ down the road when instead of blowing the $150-250 on the 190 you don't like you know what the 190 will do and keep your cash instead. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts