Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 ZX11 with Mr Turbo kit.

The bike will only start in neutral. This is especially problematic right now as Im trying to figure out this antiquated efi system and the bike likes to stall, a lot.

Key on, in gear, clutch in, stand up or down and no starter engagement.

Neutral with clutch in, stand up or down and no starter engagement.

Neutral with clutch out, stand up or down and starter engages every time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Neutral safety switch is probably busted. Happens frequently when the bike is dropped fairly hard on the left side.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Neutral indicator light comes on as it should.
Not the same. The neutral safety switch is in the cluster on the left side of the bar. If that's not operating, it won't start in gear. The neutral light serves no other purpose than to tell you that the bike is in neutral.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to understand what your saying. Sounds like your saying there's a different neutral safety switch then the one that activates the light on the cluster.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
There's a neutral switch and a neutral safety switch. Neutral switch is what shows the light. Neutral safety switch is what allows the bike to start in gear with the clutch pulled in. Two different things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. So I've verified that the putting the transmission in neutral illuminates the neutral light and allows the starter to engage when the start button is pushed. If the transmission is taken out of neutral, turning off the neutral light, the starter will not engage.

So that neutral switch works.

Where do I find and how do I test the other one?

·
Registered
324 Posts
These switches are used on loads of Kawasaki's and are a common problem for when the bike won't start in gear or will only start with the clutch lever pulled back, I did a picture guide for stripping and cleaning one for the one on my zx-9r C here and it uses a similar one.

Yours is a bit different with a hydraulic clutch, the difference is that your switch will be attached to the bottom of the clutch lever reservoir and not the cable clutch lever. Your Part number 27010-1406 is still used on lots of Kawaskis with Hydraulic clutches like the Vulcan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not sure what's up with the claim about there being two neutral switches is but a quick look at the starter system shows one neutral switch and a starter lockout switch (also known as a clutch switch)

The ground from my neutral switch makes its way to my clutch switch and passes through it just fine. The problem is that there is no ground being supplied to my clutch switch for it to pass through to the starter when you pull the clutch lever.

Chasing it down has revealed that it has somehow been tied into the m.r.e. air shifter system. If I jump a ground to the black/yellow on the clutch switch harness the air shifter will engage.

Something has been tapped I to or a diode has given up.

Chasing it down now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It seems your bike has been seriously messed with. This info will not help you at all but here's what happened to me. Mouse damage. Was a bundle under the battery. Involved the kickstand switch and the neutral light. Lost everything in a back road with no cell service. Pretty close to a heart failure but I finally saw the problem. Reconnected some wires, got home safe. Kinda screwed stuff up. Now the neutral light comes on when the kickstand is up and go off When down. Will only start with kickstand up in neutral or if I pull clutch with kickstand down. So pretty much my neutral light is a kickstand indicactor. I told you this may not help but maybe your problem is kickstand switch. Good luck in your work!! Bike looks awesome!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Somebody set it up to be a racebike, shifts every time you pull the clutch. I wont recommend bypassing the clutch switch, itd start in gear w.o regard to the clutch position. But if ur confident enough in urself it works just fine. People do weird things to "racebikes". Got a zx12r in the shop rn w nitrous. Horn button starts it, air shifter connected to the clutch, start button is the spray. It works as long as the rider knows how things operate

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No race bike set up here, just jackasses cutting wires. They cut what they thought was the horn switch wires and used them to activate the air shifter problem is, the wires they cut also supplied a ground to the clutch switch as well as the hi/lo headlight switch. I guess they couldn't figure out what they did so they just left the clutch switch inoperable and jumped the headlight wire to an ignition wire.

Those issues are all fixed and I'm going through the hole harness. It'll be back together soon. Properly.

Converting to coil on plug, installing rsr air aloft module, got rid of the msd, putting fans back on it.......

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,477 Posts
No race bike set up here, just jackasses cutting wires. They cut what they thought was the horn switch wires and used them to activate the air shifter problem is, the wires they cut also supplied a ground to the clutch switch as well as the hi/lo headlight switch. I guess they couldn't figure out what they did so they just left the clutch switch inoperable and jumped the headlight wire to an ignition wire.

Those issues are all fixed and I'm going through the hole harness. It'll be back together soon. Properly.

View attachment 20146

Converting to coil on plug, installing rsr air aloft module, got rid of the msd, putting fans back on it.......
I read somewhere on here that the c.o.p. upgrade was almost pointless since these bikes have a wasted spark ignition system. You get better throttle response. But, you don't get the intended longevity of the coils since they're firing 2x as much. That's my only concern

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read somewhere on here that the c.o.p. upgrade was almost pointless since these bikes have a wasted spark ignition system. You get better throttle response. But, you don't get the intended longevity of the coils since they're firing 2x as much. That's my only concern
My reason for the swap is to clean up the area under the tank. They give you a little more room and a little less clutter. Time will tell on longevity but I've never heard of any failures myself.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,477 Posts
My reason for the swap is to clean up the area under the tank. They give you a little more room and a little less clutter. Time will tell on longevity but I've never heard of any failures myself.
I haven't heard of failures yet either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts