Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1995, Kawasaki unveiled for 1996 its 4th generation ZX-7. The bike came in standard "R" and limited edition "RR" (for superbike homologation requirements). In various racing jurisdictions, the "RR" has been the foundation for heavily modified racing machinery.

The "RR" had a total production run of 500. I know for a fact that the "RR" was offered in Canada in both 1996 and 1997. The VIN # does not necessarily start at 0, but rather depends on the country. In Canada the numbers start at 1501. The engine number is commonly within 250 of the frame.

The obvious visual cue is the solo seat and extra "R". The swingarm pivot sits in a square plate that is interchangeable with other plates from Kawasaki. This effectively allows tuners to vary the location of the pivot in the frame. Less obvious is the Nissin brakes and clutch. These are more expensive than the standard Tokico jobbies. Like the swingarm pivot, the steering head angle is adjustable by kit from Kawasaki. A tuner can adjust rake/trail without affecting the height of the fork in the triple tree. The ride height is also adjustable at the rear of the bike independent of spring pre-load.

The suspension pieces are top-shelf bits too. Up front there is twice the adjustability on preload, compression and rebound, ditto on the backside. The fork sliders also have smoother alloy plating for less friction.

Then there's the engine..... 41 "flats" replace the 38 CV's standard on the "R". The transmission is a close ratio six-speed with one extra shift dog for smooth snickering. The flywheel and the crank is slightly heavier on the RR.

Firing it all is a lightweight 8AH battery.

Incidentally, there is NO storage space on the bike, which can be a headache on long rides.

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice write up but its limited because 500 needs to be sold to officially call it a production bike thus being able to make it a pure race bike that is sold to the public hence no trunk space etc. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
horse power

Do you know how much horsepower a 95 zx7 had? And where can I get all the performace spec for this year of bike

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have an RR- motor wise, there was no hp difference between the r, and the rr, finicky carbs, and a 100mph first gear if you want it. Actually have a R for my track bike, and a heavily modified RR for my 'mocha' getter. I live about 150 miles from Muzzys, so I sourced a bunch of AMA superbike parts for my bike. Ohlins superbike front end, kit rear shock, kit wheels, carbon box, brembo monoblock calipers, and superbike rotors, massive tripleclamps, and brembo billet master cylinders. As far as storage space, your right, if you have the factory tool kit under the saddle, there is just enough room for your registration. If you want to build some power in the motor, you can, but its expensive, and about the most that you can get is 154hp. If your shopping for one of these buy it because you 'love' it, anything modern will kick the crap out of it. They are heavy, and awesome handling, and have enough power to have some fun, but a bone stock gsxr will put the hurt on you. (By the way, Muzzy has the first/second RR made sitting in a crate-he was going to sell me one of them, cheap too, then got sentimental and decided to keep them both).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts