Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ride is a 1993 ZX-11d.

I bought the bike used and have since put about 2,000 miles on it. During that time I have changed the oil and the filter. Since then, about 1,000 miles, I have lost nearly 1 qt of oil.

FWIW the bike now has just shy of 28,000 miles.

I have noticed no oil build up under the bike or on the under, or is it top side(?) of the farings.

If I were burning it up, would there be noticable black smoke from the exhaust?

Any ideas on how to hunt dowon the source of the leak/oil loss?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 94 ZX11 with 85,000 miles has been using about 1/3 - 1/2 qt per 1000 miles since 55,000 miles. This is using synthetic Rock Oil Before that it consumed nothing. I am burning it there are no external leaks but I dont notice it in the exhaust. I think its probably leaking past the valve seals. About 8000 miles ago I chainged to regular (dino) oil and the consumption went went up to around 1 qt/1000 miles. - I have gone back to synthetic. With the age my bike is and the miles on it I am happy to feed it as its cheaper than tearing into the head. I just extend the oil change interval to save a bit $ since I am adding fresh stuff all the time. I dont think you would notice 1qt/1000 miles obviously burning by looking at what is comming out the exhaust but if there are no external leaks then that must be where its going. Another possible leak path is into the spark plug wells but I think that amount of oil leaking there would be more obvious. Are the spark plug wells dry or full of oil?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '97 goes through about 1/2qt every 1000 miles. It sat for a year before I got it & I believe the valve seats dried out. I have put about 5k miles on it since May & It is getting a bit better actually. I am hoping as it is ridden more it will get down to a reasonable level.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi APCZX11,
How do you check your oil? Do you warm it up on it's centerstand for 5-7 minutes, shut it off and then check it about 5 minutes later?

I have 39,000 miles and doesn't use any oil...

·
Registered
193 Posts
mine uses about a litre/1500 km's as well it only has 27000 km's

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Porky:

I place the bike on the center stand when I return home from a ride, and then check the oil level. I do not wait at all, but I have left the bike like this overnight and there has been no obvious change in the oil level between hot and cold.

Last night I filled the bike to the high mark on the sight glass. I will keep an eye on it over the weekend to see if it changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts