Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm not on this board too much ... only recently as I am doing a Ninja 400 giveaway - however, I purchased in Feb 2019 a 1993 Burgundy ZX7 -- so I spent a number of months ( since Feb ) with restoration, full service, and customization .. almost completed .. more pics to come later

story - I bought the same model and color new back in 1993 and raced it CCS for a few years before it was stolen .then I bought a 95 metallic black and rode that for a few years ...

i spent a long time looking for and paid a premium for the period correct Muzzy TI exhaust and put an Ohlins damper and ebc rotors and SS lines and race tail and ... well you guys know how this ends .. more pics later ...

FYI - Project Ninja 400 Bike Build Benefits RoadRacing World Action Fund

· Registered
23 Posts
Looks stunning, I'm mid restoration myself but a way off from your concourse standard. I'm just trying to get it working!
I'd appreciate you posting some photos from under the airbox as I'm stuck putting it back together. Long story...

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I finally finished the mod list on the 7 .. figured I'd share some of the progress and work over the past 2 years.

I have a few bikes and and after building up a first gen r1 (Death R1 ) and the new ( now older ) 2017 Honda SP2 (Death CBR SP2) on those forums - I really wanted to find and build 2 bikes I used to own .. one was the 93 burgundy zx7. THe other, well you have to follow the gixxer forums in the near future:)

I looked and looked and eventually found the bike of choice at Iconic Motorbikes in California and got it shipped to me on the east coast. The whole experience working with Adam was great. Once I got the bike, I'd forgotten what my 750cc motor felt like back in the day. I had 3 of them ... one was modded and one was a race bike. Still compared to the the liter bikes of today ... it lacked umphhh. So I read some forums posts here, talked to Adam again, and sourced a 94 ZX9 low mileage motor. I spoke to forum member Mte78 alot for advice. I tracked down Zlock racing in Washington and basically got the motor shipped from Cali to Washington .. got the works on the motor .. and then shipped to me on the East Coast.

Once here, I used Mad4Motorsports to have the motor installed into the zx7 frame. Throughout this whole time frame I found a ton of NLE parts and pieced together a ton of performance items.

list of the top of my head - Dymag carbon fiber wheels, brembo calipers, performance rotors, clips ons, brembo master cylinder, muzzy ti exhaust, brembo rear caliper, quick shifter, wsb replica oil catch can, custom muzzy seat, shorai battery, ohlins rear shock, computrak boston front end, carbon front and rear fender, a slew of gold titanium hardware, plus a ton of stuff I am probably forgetting that I will edit / add on later.

One of the biggest challenges was the jetting on zx7 with the modded zx9 motor and zx9 carbs. Working with Bauce racing (they helped with the Ninja400 build above) we were able to figure it out and get the bike dyno tuned. The trick is reading all the info on this forum and other locations and figuring out how to pressurize the carbs as the zx9 carbs are pressured differently than the zx7 carbs.

But we got it to the tune of somewhere around 135rwhp ... I would have to look at the dyno for the actual number.

I'll add / update this later with more detailed info .. but onto the pics :)

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ZX9 - ZLock racing big bore 955CC motor install

outside of this slight modification ... bolted right in

completely assembled ..looks factory - could never tell a big bore 900 motor is in the frame :)

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am seeing now that the pics didn't work ...so I am going to use a new file sharing platform ...SpaceJammit ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts