Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new, ive been looking for a newer bike to replace my 97 fzr600. i know the ninja is not newer then my current year bike but it newer in technology since my fzr never really changed since 89.

anyway i was talking to a lady at a salvage yard about a 2000 R1 this week when she said the other bike she had was a 92 ZX7. i asked for pics and it turns out is a ZX7R (solo tail...those are kinda rare right?)

its got 31K on it, has some engine noise, runs funs, looks decent for 15 years old and she wants $2,000.

is this a deal? rip off? stay away? let me know please. here some pics and if i can get it id like to put on a cbr1000rr tail (ive seen it done before on a 97 zx7r, looks sweet)

thanks in advance.
aaron from pa

·
Registered
649 Posts
Unless you are able to do all the work on the bike yourself I would stay away from something so old. It's going to need some work and maintenance which will cost a lot if you have a shop do it. Hell, I bought a 2001 NINJA for $3600 with only 4K miles on it. Shop around til you really find what you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
buying a 91-92 zx7 ninja

I have a 91 zx7j the bike is a good deal it has an after market exhaust and a aftermarket shock. Looks good and all complete it looks like the cleanest bike that I've ever seen for this year. You usually find them with most the fairings missing. As for doing the work you better know how to work on a bike. To do a valve adj. tune-up and oil change it will cost up to $750.00 the price for a newer bike is only $350.00-$400.00. and the only way that they wiil touch it is if you have the factory manual. which costs $100.00 on the cheap side (they wont use the clymer manual). Have any more question write me

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess ill let the bike alone, it has as much milage as my fzr does, but ive owned my fzr since 2002 and it only had 8,000 miles on it when i got it. i know the engines good, i dont know if i can trust a 16 year old bike if i wasnt the 1st or 2nd onwer after a few years. ill look for somthing else, i dont like zx7R's but always though the ZX7 was cool.

its a 1991 anyway, its not a 1992 like i was told.

·
Registered
5 Posts
See if she'll let you take it for a spin so you can form your own opinion.

That particular year and model had a more powerful motor than the plain jane "ZX-7", more adjustable suspension, lighter weight, 39mm flatside carbs, and close ratio transmission. Other than the crap exhaust goofy stickers the bike looks stock. That bike is supremely easy to work on too, valve adjustments are a breeze.

I personally think it would make a good project bike to work on and $2k for a 16 year old bike with its original plastic is rare these days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 92, I ride it daily, bought it about 2 months ago, its not the stock graphics and the person who had it before me didnt take great care, however i have put alot of time and money into the bike. I am in nj.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts