Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1992 zx1100 with a cracked head not long ago(didn't know it was cracked). The guy I bought it from was moving out of town and was my neighbor for four years.I didn't think there should be anything to worry about. Anyways......I replaced the head and bike is back together and somewhat running. It runs great when I can get it started. The problem is trying to get it started. When trying to start it cranks slow and drains battery(all lights dim). I thought it was starter so I took it out and checked,cleaned brushes.Also tested armature and commutator. everything tested good. Reinstalled starter and still having the same problem. If I put charger on batt and try after a bit it will crank very quickly (normal crank speed)for about 2 sec and then it seems as though the starter spins,stops,spins,stops and so on. I then replaced all the cables and tried a lighter oil.(oil has been changed numerous times since the head replacement)still the same problem. I did notice when I was replacing the head that when i turned engine over by hand from the timing rotor that it seemed to get tight and it would pop free. Almost as if there was only one cam lobe and when it rotates and pushes down the valve(gets tight) and when it comes off valve it (pops free). It is not a smooth rotation the full 360 deg. Is this normal? Please help!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts