Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I just picked up a second parts bike... and in the process of stripping it down, I noticed the motors are NOT the same.... one (the parts bike) had some definitive differences on it.

I couldn't get the motor fired up on the parts bike (picked it up at fire sale prices because of this) not sure if its a start vs mechanical yet.

at any rate, on the zx7 motor (my bike) on the right side of the head - there's nothing there... just the casting.

on the parts bike though - there's a rectangular box on the head (didn't pull it off - was too tired. even the top of the motor is different than my zx7.

I'm wondering, are there any physical/visual differences between the zx7 and the zx7r motors?

and can anyone post up some pics for comparison?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Hey folks,

I just picked up a second parts bike... and in the process of stripping it down, I noticed the motors are NOT the same.... one (the parts bike) had some definitive differences on it.

I couldn't get the motor fired up on the parts bike (picked it up at fire sale prices because of this) not sure if its a start vs mechanical yet.

at any rate, on the zx7 motor (my bike) on the right side of the head - there's nothing there... just the casting.

on the parts bike though - there's a rectangular box on the head (didn't pull it off - was too tired. even the top of the motor is different than my zx7.

I'm wondering, are there any physical/visual differences between the zx7 and the zx7r motors?

and can anyone post up some pics for comparison?
Post pictures, please.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
I believe what you are looking at is the damper that's mounted to the end of the block. The 96-03 ZX7R's and the 94-97 ZX9 had this. The 91-95 ZX7 and 91-94 ZX7R did not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok... here's the motor in question....

^^ the rectangle box on the side of the head is what I was talking about...

top view

as well as my zx7 doesn't have the emissions related stuff on the top of the head.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Or just 9 carbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after doing some research....

I think you're right... it IS a zx9 motor....

sweet score! - now if I can only chase down the wiring gremlins.... its a no start situation. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts