Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bringing the bike back to life after winter storage. Cleaned carbs as the bike wouldn't idle and kept backfiring.

Bike idles real nice and no backfires after cleaning. On the lift the engine will rev nicely up to 9000 rpm.

Took the bike for a ride and once I get into 2nd gear it begins to bog down. In 3rd gear the bike will not acclerate.

The engine runs nicely with no load on it, but once on the road it's luckly I get up to 30mph?

Where should I start looking to fix it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bringing the bike back to life after winter storage. Cleaned carbs as the bike wouldn't idle and kept backfiring.

Bike idles real nice and no backfires after cleaning. On the lift the engine will rev nicely up to 9000 rpm.

Took the bike for a ride and once I get into 2nd gear it begins to bog down. In 3rd gear the bike will not acclerate.

The engine runs nicely with no load on it, but once on the road it's luckly I get up to 30mph?

Where should I start looking to fix it?
I'm having the same problem, although it will accelerate but sounds like it is bogged down for a few seconds and then gradually it will start to eeven out and accelerate. I have no idea what the problem is but if you have any ideas, I would like to know.:headscratch
Peace

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm wondering if as you open the throttle letting more air, if it isn't getting enough gas it is causing it to bog. My zx6 sat for over 7 years until my friend gave it to me. I paid a guy to clean carbs and it still ran like that and wanted to die. I took them out and cleaned it myself and it was better, but had to do it a 3rd time and took the jets out and got a guitar string and poked it in all those lil holes on that thing the main jet screws into. I also got a lil allen wrench put it in the end and rotated the main jet around it and lots of rust was still there. I did the same for the idle jet with a smaller tiny allen wrench. The flat surface helped get out all the rust. It ran great after that. I'm sure you also put the carb cleaner up to the main jet hole and sprayed and saw it come out the other end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts