Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I have a 1990 ZX7 H2 model with about 18,000KM's on it and my rear mono shock is gone. It's like riding a pogo stick. I was wondering if there is a replacement shock for this besides the OEM version which cost about $900 to purchase. I am the original owner of this bike which I purchased new back in 1990. Only mods I have is a Kerker White Tip. This bike has been sitting for about 8yrs and needs a good carb cleaning amongst all the fluid's to be changed. Can anyone suggest an option to the shock replacement besides the OEM type?.

Thanks in advance,

PinIt

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Look for a rear shock for a 98 yamaha yzf600r. You'll even get a a remote res too. Plus you can adjust comp, rebound, and preload, unlike our stock shocks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can fit shock off a zx10r also, with slight mods. It would cost you under $100 for the shock... and a few hours of your time.

·
6,661 Posts
You can fit shock off a zx10r also, with slight mods. It would cost you under $100 for the shock... and a few hours of your time.
89-90 are not the same as the 91-95 or 96+. Christi would know better what fits.

Christi??? Any other options for him?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
He needs a shock that has either a remote res, or no res at all due to the battery box being too low. Now if you get a smaller battery, you could cut the top of the box off, and relocate the mounting bracket. Then you could fit a newer 7 shock, or the 10r shock. Now the Penske 8986 I think (which ever one Turbo installed) or the Ohlins equivalent, will fit as well as long as it has the remote res.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply folks. I really dont want to cut the battery box or relocate the bracket so i will look for a P8986 or the yammy shock. One question though, are these shocks aftermarket or oem?

Once again, thanks for the information!

Pinit

·
Registered
497 Posts
89-90 are not the same as the 91-95 or 96+. Christi would know better what fits.

Christi??? Any other options for him?
You stand corrected. The 10r mod can in fact be done, very similar to the 91-95 mod. I am speaking from experience. She also said the same thing. Just because I have a low post count here and I don't have boobs doesn't mean I do not know what will work.

Thanks for your cheap shot tho. :crackup

·
6,661 Posts
Not a cheap shot, just only see you talk about your 95. I would rather ask the question than and make sure rather than have someone spend money and waste it. I knew to ask Christi since I knew she has messed with the 89-90 a bunch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I remember the '89 & '90 are pretty much the same bike.Except the '90 has the 89's race kit in it along with a few cosmetic changes. It's refreshing to hear that there is an alternative to mono shock replacement other than OEM. If I have to, I will mod the battery box depending on what shock I can source and obtain. I also have to get the carbs cleaned out and it looks like there might be some rust in the tank from excessive storage of untreated gasoline. For the rust, I have purchased some Metal rescue which is suppose to do a fantastic job on gas tanks and anything ferrous and will not harm the paint or plastic. Going to give it a try when the temp warms up a bit here. Does anyone know a good place to take my carbs in for cleaning in the Southern Ontario area?.

Thanks,

PinIt

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Not sure about a place to take them but I clean carbs all the time and install jet kits. You just have to get them synced to your bike when you get them back.
Also if modding in not an issue with you then the sky's the limit on which shock you can go with. As long as it fits the mounts. But anything with a remote res should fit the bike.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not a cheap shot, just only see you talk about your 95. I would rather ask the question than and make sure rather than have someone spend money and waste it. I knew to ask Christi since I knew she has messed with the 89-90 a bunch.
Its all good man. Ive asked alot about my 95 recently, but have done mods and worked on MANY bikes over the years. I just have a low post count here, so people write me off.

And Christi is extremely knowledgeable on the older bikes, and I meant no offense to her at all.

I just was letting you know, other people know also.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not sure about a place to take them but I clean carbs all the time and install jet kits. You just have to get them synced to your bike when you get them back.
Also if modding in not an issue with you then the sky's the limit on which shock you can go with. As long as it fits the mounts. But anything with a remote res should fit the bike.
I know you are the Carb queen :crazyloco

I meant nothing bad by my comment to him earlier. I was making the point, that with som elbow grease a few hours time, I put a ZX9r shock on a 90 750, and I was able to fit a zx12 shock to one. The customer did not want to spend a ton of money on a hard to find remote res shock...

It worked out fine, but the bat box was slightly modded and the mounts were slightly modified. He still has the bike to this day with the 12r shock in it.

I think we had to go with adjustables dogbones though, for some reason I recall a height issue initially.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
A 97 9r shock has the remote res on it and may fit just right.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
It should fit. Might be a little longer than the 7 and I know it's softer, but should fit.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had a 91 ZX7 rear shock installed on my 89 ZX7 track bike.
The bike came to me that way and I didn't know it was different (they look similar) till it was removed to set the SAG.

It fit no problem and performed well......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's just awesome guys!. I really appreciate all the feedback on this one.
I will begin to source an aftermarket shock with the reserve res. in order to fit my '90 ZX7. Was thinking about starting with Dennis Kirk or Royal Distributing.

Cheers!

Pinit

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Hell if money isn't an issue, go Ohlins!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me the center to center legnth of the stock rear dog bones? I am trying to figure out if a bike has been lowered or if it is stock.1990 ZX7H2

Also, does anyone have a source for Race Carbs preferably flat slides for a 1990 ZX7H2?

Thanks in advance for any info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts