Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I always had a hard time getting to those nuts. I wonder if there is an easier way to fasten them for quick removal.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Not sure what can be done to make it easier. 1989 design was more user friendly and is easy to do oil changes.
Swap pans and put the H1 oil cooler on? Lot of work though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
With the 1990 H2, that is how you need to do oil changes. Big PITA but that is how it’s done.
What changed between the H1 and 2? Oil pan ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
H1 oil pan is different. Oil pressure switch is on the left (vs. H2 on right), slightly deeper (H1 oil capacity is .4L more) and the oil filter is external (vs. H2 internal cartridge).
The H2 system was redesigned to get the exhaust tucked under better for racing and get the filter tucked away. This lead to the H2 requiring partial disassembly just to do an oil change. H1 is better design IMO.
Discovering all the subtle differences between the two as I have a stash of H2 parts that came with my two H1s. As well as an H2 motor which is subtly different as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I know I am all over the place here, but I was thinking of assembling the frame, swingarm, forks, wheels etc. to get it to a roller on the lift. I have a ton of grungy bolts. I would love to hear anyone's 2¢ on restoration/replacement... Ti upgrades?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know I am all over the place here, but I was thinking of assembling the frame, swingarm, forks, wheels etc. to get it to a roller on the lift. I have a ton of grungy bolts. I would love to hear anyone's 2¢ on restoration/replacement... Ti upgrades?!?!?!?!
What are your end goals with the build? All OEM? Better than OEM? Customized partially or fully?

Restoring old fasteners is expensive, not to mention how few are usually worth the effort. You can still buy most OEM fasteners brand new from multiple places. Unless you are doing a show bike or going racing, Titanium is not really worth it in my opinion.

My 2c

·
Registered
568 Posts
Agree. Ti is very expensive.

I went with all Ti nuts, bolts, and washers on both my builds. Steel will look just as good.

Just please do not reuse the old bolts, even one will stick out and be a true eye sore if you are doing an impeccable restoration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Slorg, I suppose I would like to do better than OEM if I can... I would gladly go Ti if it was not crazy numbers... are you guys going to fastenal for replacements, or ordering replacements/ Ti online?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Slorg, I suppose I would like to do better than OEM if I can... I would gladly go Ti if it was not crazy numbers... are you guys going to fastenal for replacements, or ordering replacements/ Ti online?
I have been using new old stock OEM from places like RockymountainATV, KawasakiPartsHouse, Partzilla.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts