Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Registered
'90 ZX7, Africa Twin, M109R, VFR800, RC8R, RSV Factory, Rossi R1,NS400R, Z1000, ZRX1100, 1125R, xb9
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not much to report at the moment, my Airtech solo cowl should ship out next week and I have an alternate gsx750 rear fender on the way as a donor for transplant & grafting.

· Registered
'90 ZX7, Africa Twin, M109R, VFR800, RC8R, RSV Factory, Rossi R1,NS400R, Z1000, ZRX1100, 1125R, xb9
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Well most of my stuff that I bought has arrived except my Airtech solo cowl. Its been 8 weeks now and they still have not shipped it (they said 4 week to make it). So far its been 2 weeks of "its been made and we are shipping it this week" responses to my emails. If its not shipped by Friday ill be phoning them. The customer service and communication there is not good, I sure hope the product is better than the service, you have to bug them several times before you even get a response.

UPDATE, the Airtech solo cowl finally shipped today.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Today I just started to plan the rear fender repair using either the zzr1100 or the gsxs1000 rear fender as a donor to graft on. Not going to be easy I would say. I'm making a video of my repair process so stay tuned to see how well it goes, or how horribly wrong it goes.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I decided to try and fabricate/repair the severly hacked up rear fender that came with my ZX7. I have no idea how long it will take to find a suitable replacement so it was worth a shot to try and fix it up.

here is my video on how I did it

https://youtu.be/d_bW8zF2H9w

from this ....

Wood Finger Flooring Floor Hardwood

to this.... note that the paint was still a bit wet here, so now that its dried its a more suitable satin finish .

Bumper Automotive exterior Office equipment Auto part Machine
Hood Netbook Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My Airtech solo cowl finally arrived, took 3 months

Attachments

Reactions: ninjanut

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The last of my parts (Tires) for the restoration should arrive this week. Hopefully I can start the work in the new year after I wrap-up the CBX750 resto (all being well).

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I started the tear down of the ZX7 today (ill post a link to my Youtube channel and vid's as I post them) and I'm already finding a few missing things or have a few questions, so here's my missing item so far, if you have one you can sell, id appreciate it. Im missing a grommet mounting tab that attaches to the Frame on the right side (see where im pointing)
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Bumper

Also wondering what mounts in these areas, something missing :
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

And finally, how is this supposed to mount ?(not Zip ties im sure) .correct mounting photos of the right side where this should mount are appreciated:
Hand Automotive tire Tire Wheel Tread

· Registered
29 Posts
#1 side panel bracket. Search eBay with ZXR750 model. I saw one in the past month.
#2 is a missing relay (forgot which one.) Fuel pump/turn signal maybe?
#3 is missing reeds, gaskets, covers, and bolts.
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Drawing

#4 The side tabs slip into holders, behind and above the battery top, in front of the subframe cross member.
Electrical wiring Gas Wire Auto part Cable

Attachments

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Thank You !!

I had no luck finding the bracket on Ebay, but...then I remembered a box of "bits" that came with the bike and I found it in there !! (see page 1 of this thread)

I had no idea about these reeds. did some reading and seems they are emissions related for Europe and USA/Canada. I see nothing there on my bike for those to function, so im gonna guess. it was all stripped off the bike long ago and isnt required to run.

Im guessing its the fuel pump relay thats missing as I dont see a fuel pump in there at all, seems to be gravity fed just now. Anyone know if thats gonna be an issue? will the bike starve at high RPM if there is no fuel pump ?

thanks for the picture for the location of the fuse box, I have a new batt box to go on the bike as the one on it is hacked up.

· Registered
29 Posts
Missing reed valves: A long time ago, when I installed a DynoJet kit, the vacuum valve and hoses did not need to be removed. When I recently installed a Factory Pro kit, instructions advised to remove it, install a blocking plate, or run both lines from the reed valve covers into an inline coupler (in effect, cancelling it out. I can't say precisely how it is supposed to work, or what function, but you can do away with the whole system, as many people did years ago. The cleanest option is the block off plates, but I haven't seen any for sale recently, and it's low on the priority list to fabricate some.

I wanted to say "fuel pump relay" but wasn't sure, even though I replaced it and the pump six months ago. I have read you can stay on the road if your pump dies by doing a roadside gravity feed, but i would hazard a guess and say that is a limp home mode, and the pump is there to keep the fuel bowls filled at higher RPM. No actual experience however, YMMV.

My pleasure sir. I would have taken a picture under the tank for you (ref vacuum valve, hoses and reed valves,) but I have a full tank, and it's kinda' standing by while I paint the fairings.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks Again.

Yea I read that this air reed valves shot air into he exhaust port to burn off excess unburned fuel. Ill see what mine has for block offs once I get more torn down

· Registered
29 Posts
Font Parallel Slope Rectangle Drawing

Upper left of picture shows the vacuum valve. The two larger hoses plug into the reed valve covers. The smaller two lines plug into two (inner?) intake boots, and the single larger hose plugs into the airbox. The system doesn't interface with the exhaust.

I think the airbox line presents vacuum to the valve. The reed hoses suck air from under the valve cover, and maybe the smaller intake boot lines provide engine vacuum to open the valve, which allows the airbox to suck out the air under the valve cover. EPA crap that probably doesn't do much.

But I truely don't have the answer.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
IDK much if anything about it, just what I read in the shop manual. it talked about injecting air from the air box into ...Im sure it said to the exhaust port (ill have to read it again). but who knows, likely I read it wrong.

Either way none of that EPA stuff is there anymore and ill not put it back on. those reeds are odd, there is no access to the underside of the valve cover on mine, so maybe thats where the block off plates are ? ie remove the reeds and install block-off plates in the valve cover ?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Excellent ! thanks for that information !

Im gonna fire the bike up for the first time since I bought it tomorrow. Ill check compression etc as well.

Once I hear it run again Ill set about finishing the strip down to the bare frame.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got her fired up, but the choke assembly seems to behave poorly. took a few tries before I realized what was happening.

What I mean is, on every bike I have ever owned with a choke, when you throw the choke lever to on, it stays "on" until you turn it off. on the ZX7, it automatically returns to the off position immediately when you let go of the choke lever. If I disconnect the choke return spring it works fine, but that return spring seems too strong . Spring looks stock, but does anyone else have a similar issue, is this normal for a zx7 ? (I cannot see that being normal).

· Registered
29 Posts
Yep. Know precisely what is happening. Mine is the same now, and I'll fix it later.

Split the left switch gear. Inside, you'll find a small cube/rectangular block, kind of reddish orange in color - probably all gooey/disintegrated. It's like an eraser tip that rides on the choke lever to give some friction to it to keep it from being pulled back by the choke spring.

Rotfl. It's always the stupid shit that presents issues.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts