Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I'm buying a 1989 ZX10, only has 7K on the clock and runs!

Needs a few things, like for instance has a 4-1 exhaust but no muffler.

What do I do about that? Where do I find a slip on to work with this, fabrication my only chance?

ANY other suggestions/comments for a new old ZX rider is welcome (like, what mods should I do, etc).

I'm coming from a 1982 KZ 650 w/ a 700cc wiseco kit, pods, 4-1 exhaust, 750 head+cams all mods done by me. I think this project will be a piece of cake my 650 wasn't even running when I got it!

I rode a 95 FZR600, and it didn't have enough power for me at all. You think this bike will do the trick?

How does this old dog compare to 600's in terms of speed? I know a 636 would blow me out of the water but what about different bikes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well!!

It will certainly be faster than your FZ, however if you are trying to compare it to the new 600's dont forget that you are comparing twenty year old technology to something recent.

Having said all that, if you really like the ole 10 go for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do like it, it's way cool. I got the machine and heres what my plan is
1.) replace nuts+bolts where needed and reassemble
2.) Bolt on new (used) oil cooler
3.) Replace chain
4.) Flush all fluids and refill (all brake lines need to be flushed, gas will be flushed)
5.) Get some sort of muffler going (have 4-1 header, need a pipe tho)

Then I'm going to ride it and see what else needs to be done
I know I'll need to replace the tires, but I'm going to take it around the block before I do that.

I figured out pretty much what happened.
First owner bought the bike in 1989, rode it for 1 year and put 7K on it. It got tipped over a few times gently. The P.O. decided to repaint it, took all the panels off, lost the bolts, and then it was in storage for 16 years.

It looks, well, new, just in a bunch of pieces. I bought the bike for $450 which I think is a little high. However all I have to do is put it back together a bit and retitle it (easy in Michigan) and I bet I could sell it for a pretty penny.

But selling it will never happen I'm going to mod the hell out of it instead.

The bike looks a little too... macho for me. In fact I can't stand the way it looks. Has anybody ever actually modded a bike to "tone it down". All I see is outrageous paintjobs and chrome rims etc etc. Thats going in the wrong direction, I really like, for instance, the way my 82 KZ looks.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anybody know where I can find more info on this old beast?

·
Registered
60 Posts
No harm towards you but I just think your name is funny.I've had older bikes and the new bikes are so ridiculously fast I'd say you'd have to do alot to an old one to keep up with even a 636.I had an 04 zx6r 636 and blew away TLR's, GSXR 750's, even a few random 1000's.Around corners and in the straight aways.Guess thats all on the rider but sometimes the bigger engines should make up the difference.I guess thats why all these idiots ride hayabusas to make up for their lack of riding capabilities. :tard DUH...me go in straight line real fast! :tard

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mr Turbo Made A Moded Oil Pan For That Bike ..its Like The Zx11 3rd Rod Gets Starved For Oil ..and 2nd Gears Like To Blow Out?i Owend 89 Also Good Bike Other Than That....good Luck

·
Registered
526 Posts
pics?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry no pics yet. You wouldn't want to see it yet anyway give me at least a few weekends with it :).

NBK is a name I earned on a 1975 Yam. RD350. Ported, bored, digital ignition, rods, crank, oil cooler, lock-up clutch, speciality made chamber exhaust, boost bottle, carbs. Still wouldn't keep up with a new 600 with all that but could out wheelie on all day! Too much power for that frame, though, and lots of motor problems (wouldn't recommend an RD to hardly anyone).

I am NOT planning on racing my 1000 against anyone. I'm just going to enjoy it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry no pics yet. You wouldn't want to see it yet anyway give me at least a few weekends with it :).

NBK is a name I earned on a 1975 Yam. RD350. Ported, bored, digital ignition, rods, crank, oil cooler, lock-up clutch, speciality made chamber exhaust, boost bottle, carbs. Still wouldn't keep up with a new 600 with all that but could out wheelie on all day! Too much power for that frame, though, and lots of motor problems (wouldn't recommend an RD to hardly anyone).

I am NOT planning on racing my 1000 against anyone. I'm just going to enjoy it!
Sounds like you have everything planned out. Definetly get us some pics when you have the chance. I love to watch these restro projects come along.

·
Registered
526 Posts
ya, like a before, during, and after kinda thing

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have a 90 zx10 and love it, may not be as fast as a new bike but my bike gets the looked at all the time. pics are posted in this forum. have fun with it and 450.00 bucks aint to bad.:crazyloco

·
Registered
2 Posts
1989 zx10

I bought my zx10 new and still have it. It has 6300 miles on it. Its a great bike with no major problems so far. The bike is fast but has a sport/touring feel. I have taken trips from Chicago to Indy, Springfield, St. Louis with a rider.
The bike does make my right hand numb after awhile and the stock seat can be
a little rough after long ride . Love this bike it gets lots of look.

Last year I sold a 1990 zx10. It was also in perfect shape. Wish I had a dozen of them. They a great sale bike with a lot of interest.

This bike was the first of the era and was made well mechanically and has the look..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 1989 ZX10 for 300 bucks...it came with new tires, Penske Shock and Corbin seat. The bad... most of the plastic is missing I CAN't find a right side turn signal and the rear ones were gone...So with all that being said. I don't care about the plastics its now a warrior. I painted the whole thing black filled the spaces in the front and put my own turn signals and enjoy riding the Snake in Socal

Let me know what you guys think.http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/4597544292/

·
Registered
8 Posts
86 zx1000r

I bought a 86 zx1000r and have been rebuilding it. The guy blew a cylinder lining a few years ago and threw in storage. the body was in pretty bad shape too! but luckily i have been finding some great buys on ebay and it should be done by the middle of july!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned a 90 model with a full muzzy and some carb work.

Great machine.....awesome first bike (17 at the time)
Little heavy but enough grunt to throw a tank bag and a passenger on and stack the miles on. Really enjoyed the 10k miles i had it for.

Just be mindful of oil levels with the whole #3 rod issue. And if it gets laid down or dropped and stays running.....general consensus is the damage to the bearing is already done.

But other than that i loved it! Dont see em all that often and everyone likes to talk at ya about it.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
i have an 89 zx10 with 74000 miles on it what should i expect in longevity.
You've gotten it this far. 100K isn't out of the question. Keep good oil in it, don't abuse it and fix whatever needs fixin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
good grip

also i need to change tires on 89 zx10 i was thinking metzeler roadtec z6 fr & rear . could i get some feedback about those or other choice for this baby. thanks chuck

·
Registered
236 Posts
also i need to change tires on 89 zx10 i was thinking metzeler roadtec z6 fr & rear . could i get some feedback about those or other choice for this baby. thanks chuck
Do a google search on a 17 inch rear wheel conversion. Mine had a ZX11C model rear wheel with no problems. If you use a ZX11D wheel you have to use that caliper too. Only requires minor machining of both of the spacers (so your chain lines back up). Cost around 30 dollars at local machine shop. Really opens up your tire selection.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts