Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just picked up an 89 zx10 for $700 so of course it needs some work,lol.

My first question and problem is the gas and temp guages do not function at all, any idea on where to begin first, i do know that the fan does turn on but im scared that may overheat and i wouldnt know it

also do the 88-90 zx750 parts interchange with my bike like the chaingaurd, its missing that as well.

also ive been reading that the newer 600 and 636 will smoke this bike, is that just straight line accelleration, my bike has almost 140 hp and is 364 cc bigger, has technology really gotten that good, lol

thanks
brian

·
Registered
653 Posts
hey not to sure about the interchangabilty but you need to understand that the new 636 has alot more torque :scared than just a normal 600 so there is a good chance of straight line defeat but you will definitly get chewed around around the track. Sorry dude!!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey not to sure about the interchangabilty but you need to understand that the new 636 has alot more torque :scared than just a normal 600 so there is a good chance of straight line defeat but you will definitly get chewed around around the track. Sorry dude!!!!!!
yes. a whopping 2-4 ft/lbs (2.7 to 5.4 Nm). :rotflmao

torque, in its simplest form, is a function of bore/stroke ratio for internal combustion motors. it cannot be calculated exactly based on the mechanical figures alone, but you can make certain assumptions, for instance: a 5% increase in displacement, if bore/stroke ratio remains the same, will result in approximately 5% more force on the countershaft.

thus a 5% gain. a 599cc motor will produce somewhere in the 44-46 ft/lbs range. in comparison, the 636 was producing a "whopping" 45-48 ft/lbs. :rotflmao

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey guys, just picked up an 89 zx10 for $700 so of course it needs some work,lol.

My first question and problem is the gas and temp guages do not function at all, any idea on where to begin first, i do know that the fan does turn on but im scared that may overheat and i wouldnt know it

also do the 88-90 zx750 parts interchange with my bike like the chaingaurd, its missing that as well.

also ive been reading that the newer 600 and 636 will smoke this bike, is that just straight line accelleration, my bike has almost 140 hp and is 364 cc bigger, has technology really gotten that good, lol

thanks
brian
today's bikes have a better power to weight ratio than your ZX1000 of yore. a 1000hp feather will always be faster than a 1000hp brick.

as for troubleshooting your gauges, start with the gauges. use a small battery to apply power directly to the gauge terminals to see if they respond. if they do, use a multimeter to check the resistance on the coolant sensor. more than likely, it'll be the wiring/connections that are bad if the gauges are good as the coolant temp sensors rarely fail due to their simple design.

as for the fuel sender, it's a mechanical float-type device. it's probably just stuck/rusted in the down position and will not float when fuel is in the tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
88 zx10

my bike beats some newer bikes off the line but not many. You gotta figure zx10 is a lead sled compared to newer bikes. working on finding the problem with my temp and fuel gauge. these older bikes make long trips a little easier on the body and the balls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
check the temp switch on the left side of radiator for the fan. if that switch is not working, you fan will not run. try and hardwire it to see if its the fan or switch. You can always hardwire it and add a switch to turn it on when u want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Way late but, I had that bike. I had to change out the temp sensor. If memory serves, the right side top of the radiator. The new sensor would not work when I used teflon tape. The sensor needed to make ground with the radiator threads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's good to have a fellow Tomcat fan on this forum, I have an 89 ZX10.
In my experience the thermostat housing has to be properly earthed to the frame for the temperature gauge to work. I ran an earthing wire from one of the two bolts for the housing to the nearest tank mount bracket and this fixed that problem.
The fan switch on the radiator determines when the fan comes on and not the temperature gauge, so it is safe to run the engine if the fan switch works.
I agree with Oak that the fuel gauge float could be stuck or it is a wiring issue, it is not difficult to remove the fuel gauge float and have a look at it.
There is a guy in the UK who has recently resored an 89 ZX10 and recorded the whole restoration and uploaded to YouTube, he covers examining the fuel sensor:

This is my Tomcat:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the paint. These ZX10 are rarre now. only 2 years made. Bought mine new in 1990 and still have it. 55K miles and counting. Still ride it like I stole it and I will go on social security soon. the bike shaves 35 years out of me. lol. I have been eyeing the zx14R or the new H2 or an F4 RC Augusta. I am a speed demon junkie but I have to say a well tune carburetted jetted ZX10 will give you what you need with crackles and pops a fuelie wont and I cannot part of that bike.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts