Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thought id say hello.
just bought a 1989 zx10 (tomcat) previously owend a 2007 zx10r.
Think your going to see a lot of me, as im going to be restoring the tomcat, and asking for lots of help
its in ok condition for a 30 year old bike, runs lumpy atm but havent started looking into it yet.
I might video the resto and put it on my YouTube channel (which already has various bike related content)
If admin are ok with it, i could put a link in here (but will wait for the ok first)
anyway thanks for having me. see you soon. :grin2:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think it’s very cool you are going restoring an old ZX10.

Always good to keep 80s-90s bikes alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's not in bad condition, but think lack of use hasn't done it any favours.
It's only done 500 miles in the last 10+ years.
I'm going to be renovating it, and putting videos on my YouTube channel.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do it right. Complete frame off restoration, that’s an excellent survivor to start with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do it right. Complete frame off restoration, that’s an excellent survivor to start with.
Yeah want to do a nice job, but don't want to sink a ton of cash into it.
It's a good honest bike, and want to keep it originality.
Watch this space:smile2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi topbanana0, I have an 89 ZX10 in the Candy Blue/White colours.
I stripped mine down completely four years ago, had the frame and wheels powder coated, replaced lots of bits and learnt a LOT along the way.
No doubt you are learning as well, I've watched your first YouTube video, I stripped my carbs and ultrasonically cleaned them at work, bike already had a Micron 4-1 and standard airbox but never ran that well. Decided to go with K&N pod filters as the standard airbox is a total b*****d to fit and a stage three jet kit, which made a huge difference.
Had some disasters along the way (the learning curve) and I would be happy to share my experiences with you. Ask anything you like, I probably did it or broke it!!
One thing I would strongly recommend is fixing the clutch basket destruction device that Kawasaki designed into all the early generation water cooled engines from the GPZ900R onwards. The Alternator/Starter Chain Tensioner will fail and destroy the clutch basket, the log book for mine shows a new clutch basket and tensioner being fitted at 25,000 miles!!! When I checked mine at 54,000 miles there was evidence that the tensioner was beginning to make contact with the clutch basket, this is a well known design fault.
I fitted a device which solves this problem from an eBay seller:
Search KAWASAKI ZG1000 ZG 1000 Concours Alternator/Starter Chain Tensioner Tamer Fix.

Keep up the good work and I will follow your YouTube channel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts