Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have an '88 ZX600r in mint condition. I'd love to do some mods to it (ie: replace the cans, add LEDs, etc.), but I am having a heck of a time finding ANY aftermarket parts for it.

But I guess with a vintage bike it's hard to find anything. But with that said, what could I do to make it my own? I'd like to replace the mirrors with an integrated LED turn signal into it (they're stock, but they're too small for me - when I drive I have have to squoosh my shoulders in just to see around me). Are the mounts on them 40mm?

I was also thinking of replacing the turn signals with flush-mounted LEDs (yes, I know about the resistor array I'd also have to add).

Any ideas? If I can use parts from another model year I would, but I need to know what is compatible.

Thanks all.

Brian.

·
Registered
14 Posts
im in the same boat i have a 91 c model hard to find anything mostly fab it yourself.... thats what im doing. current mod right now is new plastics my own design. but your gunna have to mix and match stuff universal is your best friend.. but you still might have to do some cutting and fabricating to make it fit.... i use bikebandit.com, and cheapcycleparts.com. but theres alot more so google search and eBay would be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Let's see some pictures of your 88 ninja 600r. I don't think you will find much out there for the early years. My first bike was a 1985 red/black ninja 600r. Back then most of us that were lucky enough to own one of these classic bikes loved everything about the bike and the last thing on our minds was to modify or change the way the bike looked or handled. They were already unique looking compared to other bike out there at that time. Good luck hunting but I doubt you will find much for the early years for the ninja bikes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let's see some pictures of your 88 ninja 600r. I don't think you will find much out there for the early years. My first bike was a 1985 red/black ninja 600r. Back then most of us that were lucky enough to own one of these classic bikes loved everything about the bike and the last thing on our minds was to modify or change the way the bike looked or handled. They were already unique looking compared to other bike out there at that time. Good luck hunting but I doubt you will find much for the early years for the ninja bikes.
+1 on all of that. 1st street for me was a '90 "c" model. The only thing I recall being available to "modify" off the shelf was the carbs with dynojet kits and air filters.. stages 1-3 though I never bothered to figure that stuff out let alone do it. And there were 4-1 exhaust pipes. The mirrors... I had to tuck my arms to use them fully on that model & I have to do the same on the one I have now. Just a fact of life. To this day you can buy a new moto with completely useless mirrors -- could be worse!

Given the rarity of mint ones, even given the 10 year production run, I'd consider leaving the bike alone. It will stand out as she sits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
saw this post, thought i would share.

My newest project bike. its an 88' Bought it off a college kid for $900. It was one of those "runs pretty good, needs work, has new tires" sort of things. So of course i get it home, Carbs are plugged, dirty fuel filter was reinstalled backwords, tires are starting to dry rot regarless of the fact that they still have 90% tread, Weak spark cause the CDI is dying, chain was dragging on the eagle bars, and the #3 spark plug hole needed to be helicoiled. Other than that, all in all its a complete bike and all original. has the standered broke tabs on the tail section that seems to happen to all of them.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
love the pics, boy that sure brings back some wonderful memories. At the time when these bikes came on to the market there was nothing like them on the road. Everybody went crazy trying to get there hands on one. The sound, the look and the ride were totally unique. To this day my one regret was selling that bike. I would love to get my hands on another one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a new one back in '95. I rode the wheels off it, I had 12k on it when I had to change the front tire. It ended up getting repo'd the third season I owned it. I could never find another one in the same colors. (Black/teal) I just bought another, somewhat local to me, and need parts to put it back together. this one has been beat and abused, but I hope to bring it back to near-mint condition. What I really need is an engine case, but new ones are $800+. I'm looking at a couple on ebay, and not sure if I want just the case or the whole engine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, I kind of agree with the others as far as not modifying it, it already is a special vehicle as it sits. But as far as what you can do... its limitless, just depends on how much time and the other most important thing, money, you are willing to put into it. As far as the mirrors though, I would recommend bar ends, I dont know if any bikes factory mirrors are good to see out of... its almost like the manufacturers dont want us to be able to see behind us without contorting our bodies to clear the FOV. But the bar ends are extremely nice!

And I just realized how old this post is... Im sure this guy already figured things out for himself...

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, the more i mess with it, the more scary crap i find on it, these bikes are not supposed to have clip style master links, only endledd Oring chains, so of course it has one on it, and the starter clutch has been going out since the day i got it. finnaly got it down and apart and got the new springs ordered for that. and figured out the clutch pack is totally fine and within spec on it, but needs new springs cause the ones that are in it are shot and about 4mm off the minimum spec, its a wonder that the clutch grabs at all. so got alot of new stuff on order thats on its way to me hopefully by the weekend so i can enjoy our nice 90 degree days and 70 degree nights we have going on right now.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
That is a nice clean bike. No one's even put flush mounts on it yet either, keep it that way.
I had an '86 I swapped a motor into. Came with a Yoshi exhaust with I had a TON of offers on for that alone.

I wonder if you could the one of the old Ninja 750R engines in it. They are very similar looking bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just as an update, head gasket blew on it back in November. so its garaged now. not sure what I'm going to do with it yet...

This is how it looks now though. Besides the yoshimira exhaust I put on it. was still stock in this pic.

Yoshi exhaust
painted the rims
Pirelli Sport Demon tires
5000K H4 HID
Stage 1 dynojet
New clutch
New winshield

1 - 13 of 13 Posts