Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
New to the site but not new to Kawasakis, had a few including ZXR750, ZX10B & ZX12R, currently riding a 86 GPz750 Unitrak.
I've started getting bits & pieces together to do a front end swap on my 86 GPz750 Unitrak, so far I have RWU forks & yokes from a ZX9R C1, I have swapped a GPz stem into the bottom yoke & machined spacers & the top yoke to suit, I have more bits to get but then realised the ZX9R C model is digital speedo so no mechanical drive on the front wheel.
As I'm fairly committed to my choice of fork, so my question is will a ZX6R wheel & discs with mechanical speedo drive fit the ZX9R forks ?.
I'm thinking of using a F-1286 wheel & 4pot Nissin but could do with advise on axle & discs
I will also be swapping the back wheel for a ZXR400 wheel.
Cheers.
Phil

·
Registered
10 Posts
back in 2012 the UK mag Practical Sportsbikes did a full project to turn an unloved hound of a GPz750 into a much sharper tool and I remember the ZX9R forks where part of the mix. The wheels were also swapped out, if memory serves I think the wheels you are using are the same. I still have the back issues covering the project, but wont be able to look them out until the weekend, I'll have a look and see how they sorted the digital speedo they fitted. Just to get the juices flowing I found a couple of pictures on the web for the project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ZX10 Tomcat.
This article was the inspiration for me to get started, the magazine kindly sent me the full series on this project. unfortunately they went for digital speedo but I really want to keep the GPz clocks, I'm currently looking at using a F1286 wheel but need to overcome the 17mm axle size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ah, I suspected as much, really cool that they sent you the full series. Sorry cant help you any further with that one, have you asked PSB for their opinion?
I thought this project was fantastic and I had the chance to see the bike in the flesh at the MCN Motorcycle show in London just prior to the mag giving it away as a prize. I remember being incensed at the time when the lucky sod who won it, sold it a few months later.
Good luck and post pictures of how you are getting on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts