Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
New to the site but not new to Kawasakis, had a few including ZXR750, ZX10B & ZX12R, currently riding a 86 GPz750 Unitrak.
I've started getting bits & pieces together to do a front end swap on my 86 GPz750 Unitrak, so far I have RWU forks & yokes from a ZX9R C1, I have swapped a GPz stem into the bottom yoke & machined spacers & the top yoke to suit, I have more bits to get but then realised the ZX9R C model is digital speedo so no mechanical drive on the front wheel.
As I'm fairly committed to my choice of fork, so my question is will a ZX6R wheel & discs with mechanical speedo drive fit the ZX9R forks ?.
I'm thinking of using a F-1286 wheel & 4pot Nissin but could do with advise on axle & discs
I will also be swapping the back wheel for a ZXR400 wheel.
Cheers.
Phil

·
Registered
23 Posts
back in 2012 the UK mag Practical Sportsbikes did a full project to turn an unloved hound of a GPz750 into a much sharper tool and I remember the ZX9R forks where part of the mix. The wheels were also swapped out, if memory serves I think the wheels you are using are the same. I still have the back issues covering the project, but wont be able to look them out until the weekend, I'll have a look and see how they sorted the digital speedo they fitted. Just to get the juices flowing I found a couple of pictures on the web for the project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ZX10 Tomcat.
This article was the inspiration for me to get started, the magazine kindly sent me the full series on this project. unfortunately they went for digital speedo but I really want to keep the GPz clocks, I'm currently looking at using a F1286 wheel but need to overcome the 17mm axle size.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ah, I suspected as much, really cool that they sent you the full series. Sorry cant help you any further with that one, have you asked PSB for their opinion?
I thought this project was fantastic and I had the chance to see the bike in the flesh at the MCN Motorcycle show in London just prior to the mag giving it away as a prize. I remember being incensed at the time when the lucky sod who won it, sold it a few months later.
Good luck and post pictures of how you are getting on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I think i'm getting somewhere now, I have a ZX6R F front wheel (F-1286/1497) with dia 20mm axle & mechanical speedo drive.
ZX6R F = 170mm between forks at the axle clamps, ZX9R C = 160mm, I can easily turn a spacer 5mm shorter (25.5 down to 20.5mm) for the non-speedo side, but I need to lose 5mm from the speedo drive unit. (34 down to 29mm)
I think I can shave 1.5mm off the inner face of the fork leg & axle nut.
1.5mm off the speedo drive unit outer face (sits against fork leg)
Turn 2mm off the inner faces of the speedo drive (sits against wheel) & increase the depth of the seal seat to suit
Reduce & re-notch the pressed wheel/speedo drive by 2mm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting there....It appears that the ZX6R-F had an offset on the bottom of the left fork leg to suit the extra width of the speedo drive so after many visits to my works only manual lathe I have finally slimmed down the right hand wheel spacer (easy) & the mech speedo drive by removing material from the outer face (against fork) & the inner faces (against wheel), it turns out there's plenty of space inside the unit to move everything closer to the drive gears & use a slimmer (off the shelf) lip seal, skim the wheel mounted pressed steel speedo actuator, no need to skim the inner of the fork face or alter the wheel, the wheel is now central.

ZX9 C1 forks & axle/spindle, both yokes needed modifying to accept GPz stem & drop the height of the top yoke to match how the GPz is currently.

ZX6R - F (95-97) 3 straight spoke front wheel & speedo drive,

Next on the list is a pair of Nissin Calipers (I think I have some sorted), & check the alignment to the ZX6R-F discs that came with the wheel, also a suitably minimalist mudguard to fit the ZX9 forks, I don't want the wrap around look of a standard ZX9 but I'm sure i've seen somewhere that the ZRX muddie will fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts