Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum! going to be rebuilding my 'new' to me $400 GPZ 900! Just want to share the journey with some kawasaki veterans, I myself am coming from an 80s Honda background ('86 VFR 700). Plan on modeling my build off the Icon 1000 "old ghost"...dreaming big but i've got the time and the space to work right now so carpe diem!

Onslaught of pictures:
The other steed
[/IMG]

The nasty tank

The goal after its all spent and done

I look forward to getting y'alls input throughout the duration of this build, and I'll be sure to update as things get interesting!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok so its been a couple weeks, I've made some progress. However, I'm currently stuck, I cannot get the sprocket cover off!!!!!! The screws are philips head (smh) and they are frozen as hell. Ive pb blasted the heck out of them, bonked it a ton with a rubber hammer, waited a day, repeated, no dice. Might have to grind them off and cut them out, I really hope I don't have to go through with that course of action. Otherwise, steadily moving forward stripping this thing down. I got a stud welder and got my toes wet in body work, I think it came out nice after primer. Any thoughts on removing the sprocket cover are appreciated.

The tank had a Kreem kote that had failed, so i went to work with some chain and a few gallons of acetone. Took it to a coin wash, sprayed all the gunk out. The tank was placed in a Metal Rescue bath for about a week, turning it every 24 hours. During that process I cleaned the carbs one by one each day after work. Number 3 was disgusting! Parts mail has been steadily coming in, Installed my K&N pod filters. Right now they're in my living room, 3d artwork

Starter clutch kit came in through Royal Mail as did my full engine gasket kit. I really hope the sprocket cover doesn't hinder me much longer, its the only thing keeping me from dropping the engine!!!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ideally I want to update the Suspension once i get the engine pulled out. Some questions: If I buy a Ohlins rear shock for GPZ 900r, but then proceed to update the rear swingarm, do I risk the Ohlins no longer fitting the rear end? If I leave stock swingarm and add Ohlins rear suspension, but then update the front forks to upside down forks that fit a 17 inch wheel, will this change the handling of the bike significantly (approximately 30mm difference in rake, depending on fork angle). Could I simply adjust the rear suspension to compensate or will i not have enough play to bring back good handling?

· Registered
3 Posts
Ideally I want to update the Suspension once i get the engine pulled out. Some questions: If I buy a Ohlins rear shock for GPZ 900r, but then proceed to update the rear swingarm, do I risk the Ohlins no longer fitting the rear end? If I leave stock swingarm and add Ohlins rear suspension, but then update the front forks to upside down forks that fit a 17 inch wheel, will this change the handling of the bike significantly (approximately 30mm difference in rake, depending on fork angle). Could I simply adjust the rear suspension to compensate or will i not have enough play to bring back good handling?
I had a zx9 it had new pistons 1mm over size and a ported head and it was quick for being heavy as it was. Next bike I bought a zx 1000a it was cool also, I love kawasakis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts