Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put a GPZ900 upper fairing frame on a ZG1000 Concours and bought an instrument cluster but the mounting on the gauges is offset and doesn't match up with the welded nuts on the frame. I bought a cast mount supposedly for the GPZ900 but it doesn't line up with either the gauges or frame.
I have a Chiltons paper manual for the 900-1100 Ninja but there's no pics or exploded diagram showing how this is supposed to go together. I'm about to buy a piece of steel bar stock and fab one but would rather have the factory design.
Does anyone have pics showing the gauges mounted from the headlight side? I looked at online parts dealers for a good diagram but came up empty.
Right now I have them temporarily mounted with one bolt and a ziptie
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Rim Auto part

Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Train Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,786 Posts
I have put a GPZ900 upper fairing frame on a ZG1000 Concours and bought an instrument cluster but the mounting on the gauges is offset and doesn't match up with the welded nuts on the frame. I bought a cast mount supposedly for the GPZ900 but it doesn't line up with either the gauges or frame.
I have a Chiltons paper manual for the 900-1100 Ninja but there's no pics or exploded diagram showing how this is supposed to go together. I'm about to buy a piece of steel bar stock and fab one but would rather have the factory design.
Does anyone have pics showing the gauges mounted from the headlight side? I looked at online parts dealers for a good diagram but came up empty.
Right now I have them temporarily mounted with one bolt and a ziptie View attachment 20786

View attachment 20784 View attachment 20785
Something ain't right there.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks haybailer for going through the trouble, it helps. Maybe the frame or gauges are from a later model ZX900A? I'll just go ahead and make an adapter, move it gauges over, and be done. I have to get this finished!

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Maybe the frame or gauges are from a later model ZX900A?"

Not sure if you mean yours or mine? My confidence in my previous owner is pretty low,
check out this hack job on the connection between the fairing bracket and the frame:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Rim

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Maybe the frame or gauges are from a later model ZX900A?"

Not sure if you mean yours or mine? My confidence in my previous owner is pretty low,
check out this hack job on the connection between the fairing bracket and the frame:

View attachment 20789
I meant mine, the weld nuts aren't offset as is the case with yours.
I had to weld a piece of metal on the fairing to steering head stay, it was rusted off. Made it better than factory. Whomever did the job on yours took the quick way out. BTW I bought a quart of phosphate rust converter at the hardware store and it seems to do the job.
Is your engine being rebuilt? I saw a crankshaft in a box.

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Is your engine being rebuilt? I saw a crankshaft in a box."
Yes, I'm replacing cracked crankcases, refreshing everything while I have it apart.

Do you have a spare set of o-rings for the cylinder? 4 - 78mm; 8 - 79.5mm.
Kind'a expensive to buy OEM, thought you might have leftover from a full gasket set?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Is your engine being rebuilt? I saw a crankshaft in a box."
Yes, I'm replacing cracked crankcases, refreshing everything while I have it apart.

Do you have a spare set of o-rings for the cylinder? 4 - 78mm; 8 - 79.5mm.
Kind'a expensive to buy OEM, thought you might have leftover from a full gasket set?
Yes send a pm with mailing address.
This is what I did to mine, used ZX10 rods to avoid milling the head and cam timing problems.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
ahhhhhh ... metal fatigue from the constant vibrations .... now this makes sense

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was the case haybailer, thanks.
Had to buy 3 feet of bar stock to make a 6 inch plate, took some work with the carbide burr to cut a groove for the center bar and all I had was hardware store zinc plated fasteners but job is done. Finishing the battery hookup, may start today
Tool Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Speedometer Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument

1 - 14 of 14 Posts