Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gpz 1100 that wont start. One morning I tried to start it. I was half asleep and I had it in first gear and I didn't hold the clutch all the way, so it turned and moved my bike forward. Put it into neutral. I tried it one more time but this time only the starter spun. I changed the starter thinking it was bad/weak. Still the same thing. I decided to put it away. I picked up the kick stand and pushed forward. The bike was in first gear. I was too lazy to kick it in neutral, so I held the clutch. Even after holding the clutch it still had the back wheel locked. I had to kick it into neutral to move it to the back. Finally yesterday I decided to read bout it and found out it has a starter clutch. But could the starter clutch also lock of the back wheel when in gear?

· Registered
3,929 Posts
There is no such thing as an 1983 Ninja. Its a GPz...... :smile I owned the first Ninja year and that was in 1984...

Sounds like you need to start with diags 101... Is the battery fully charged? If the starter spins but doesnt engage it may be a bad starter kick spring or the actual starter star gear that the starter engages. If so its time to take some engine covers off.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
starter clutch

I just found out I busted the starter clutch. What's causing the back wheel to lock up? Right before the starter clutch went out. I could hold the clutch handle and my bike would still move a little. Means my clutch is broken?

· Registered
3,929 Posts
I just found out I busted the starter clutch. What's causing the back wheel to lock up? Right before the starter clutch went out. I could hold the clutch handle and my bike would still move a little. Means my clutch is broken?
Well, theres the clutch and the starter clutch...

Gear #16085 is the starter clutch. If teeth are broken the starter will spin freely, maybe make a horrendous grinding noise, and not engage.

If you pull in the clutch lever and the rear will still will not spin freely while on the center stand and in gear, friction plates may be worn or the clutch is out of adjustment. Both issues are separate of each other. ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.