Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I crossed over 15k mile this weekend. I was told I need to check valves at this time. So I went to the local Kawi shop and ordered plugs, plug gaskets, valve cover gasket, and a service manual. Their service department is backed up 2 weeks. I am pretty mechanicly inclined I have built couple small blocks and few big blocks. So my question is changing the spark plugs and checking/adjusting valves a big deal on a 06zx14?

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Valves can be a PITA if you have not done them before.

Spark plugs are easy especially with the tool that came with the bike. I did my valves but had the engine out so I don't know about doing them in the bike.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Well I crossed over 15k mile this weekend. I was told I need to check valves at this time. So I went to the local Kawi shop and ordered plugs, plug gaskets, valve cover gasket, and a service manual. Their service department is backed up 2 weeks. I am pretty mechanicly inclined I have built couple small blocks and few big blocks. So my question is changing the spark plugs and checking/adjusting valves a big deal on a 06zx14?

Thanks
Big, Big deal. I did mine in June. My post adjustment post: http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-14-forum/62539-did-valve-adjustment.html

Here is an awesome site with great pics: http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-14-forum/62539-did-valve-adjustment.html

Here is a list of parts, I bought all Kawasaki Brand OEM parts at Bike Bandit ("BB"), saved a chunk of $; except the spark plugs that I bought at O'Rielly's for around $8.00 a piece:

1 OHV Gasket: OEM 11061 BB # 2782624 $ 42.02
4 Gasket Head Hole: OEM 11061A BB # 756293 $ 35.04
6 RING-O OEM 92055 BB # 1793491 $ 29.04
1 AIR FILTER OEM 11013 BB # 752662 $ 42.96
4 NGK CRE1A-9 O'Rielly Auto parts $ 36.00+-

I had a friend walk me through, sophisticated procedure, took all day. We used zipties to keep the timing chain in place, when we removed the camshaft.

I found a dealer North of me in Petaluma Ca that wanted $450.00 for labor plus parts and another in Ontario, Oregon that want $275.00 plus parts. And two private shops in San Francisco for $900.00 and $1250 labor plus parts.

When it needs it again, I'm buying the parts and taking it to a dealer or my friend who helped me. I can do it but its a major PIA. I down loaded my OEM manual for free on the web.

I don't know where in Texas you are but see if you can pick a reputable, reasonable shop within a 100 mile radius.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply's:crazyloco

I found a dealer to do it, sounds like a PITA. Bought all the parts and will take it in on monday, they said have it done with in 3 days. Also the guy said it would be a good idea to install manual timing chain tensioner. Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thank you for the reply's:crazyloco

I found a dealer to do it, sounds like a PITA. Bought all the parts and will take it in on monday, they said have it done with in 3 days. Also the guy said it would be a good idea to install manual timing chain tensioner. Is this a good idea?
How much $ in labor at your dealer?

I don't have a manual timing tensioner. My concern is I would screw up and cook the engine. Other people on this forum have installed them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$340 in labor.

Bought a manual tensioner from schnitz motorsports:

1 KTZX14 Cam Chain Tensioner, Billet, Kawasaki ZX-14 - APE - Cam Chain Tensioner, Billet, Kawasaki ZX-14 06-11 $52.67
Add the tensioner o-ring? : Add O-ring - Part# 92055-086

·
Registered
937 Posts
$340 in labor.

Bought a manual tensioner from schnitz motorsports:

1 KTZX14 Cam Chain Tensioner, Billet, Kawasaki ZX-14 - APE - Cam Chain Tensioner, Billet, Kawasaki ZX-14 06-11 $52.67
Add the tensioner o-ring? : Add O-ring - Part# 92055-086
$350 is a good labor price for the valve adjustment. How do you install and adjust the chain tensioner?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts