Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought at 95 zx9 from a guy off Craigslist. He was the original owner an said all maintance was done an there were no other mods other then a yoshi slip on. I bought a battery an changed the oil and filter an while snooping around I noticed there are individual k&n filters on the carbs. The air box is completely gone. I also noticed the inside of the slip on is filled with carbon. I took it for a drive around side streets and such for about 50 miles an I'm close to empty. When starting the bike I noticed the choke doesn't do anything but doesn't seem disconnected as far as there is slight resistance in the movement. Anyway to tell if it's been jetted or if the choke is rigged to stay open for proper a/f mixture? I was going to try to manually close the choke if it is open to help mileage but don't want to do damage.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Ive read about the individual filter per carb setup on the factorypro website but of course I cant find it now. If they've done that much then it's probbably been jetted - pilot screw settings, float height, jet size and needle height to accomodate the unique intake system which doesnt utilitze the ram air. I havent heard of anyone active on this board with a similar setup. How froggy are you feeling? Feel like giving the tuning a shot and going back to a stock intake and airbox setup?

If you removed the tank to look at the individual filters you should see the choke cable attaching to the carb body, check the play right on the carb itself. It should travel at least 3-5 mm (guess-timate to say it should move noticibly instead of barely from choke off to full choke)

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Remove the tank so you have a clear view of the carbs. When you move the choke lever look at the carbs and you should see the lever moving 1/2 inch at least.

If that's not the case, the cable may be routed/not secured properly.

If you have pods on your carbs, it 95% probable that your carbs are jetted. If you want to make sure... Pull one of the covers off the carbs and pull out the slide and look at the needle.
If your carbs have NOT been jetted, then you will have a non-adjustable needle like the one on the right.

If they HAVE been jetted, then your needles will look something like the one on the left.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll check the carb movement with the choke. I'm going to just deal with the mileage if I can't get it working as I'm not comfortable with carbs at all. Hopefully i can save up some money an bring it in to a shop to convert it back to the original jets and box as I'm a newbie an have no need for that at all. I've been just driving around town trying to practice swerves and such so I can eventually use it as a commuter once I feel more comfortable around women in SUVs haha.
Thanks for you help tho I appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys but I got another problem. I don't know how I missed it but there is about 3-4 inches of slack in the chain. I ordered a rear stand but it won't be here for another week. Is there another way to get the tire off the ground to adjust the chain? When I get paid next week I'm going to bring it to get a new chain put on ( I don't have a chain tool). Thanks for you help

·
Registered
249 Posts
I thought the bike needed the ram air. Also there is an air hose the connects to the vents on the carbs. Between 1&2 and 3&4. That has to be there if its jetted. Get the air box and ram air tubes. You need them. Those pods aren't going to do you any good

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
so the obvious is that your fuel mixture is messed up. my guess is that your exhaust smells like an outboard boat motor? you have to be running really rich to get mileage like that. The one and only time ive experienced that was with my first bike, first time dicking with carbs on a bike. i accidentally double stacked the aluminum washers on one fuel needle/seat and had no washer on another... i made it 90 miles on a 5 gallon tank my first ride out.

so definitely check your floats and your jet settings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts