Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

14 at the drags

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  vulture12 
#1 ·
we sold a blue 14 a couple weeks ago, I went to the drag strip last night and it was there. with a number on it. he was taking it easy. he said still learning what rpm to launch. I'm sorry, I don't remember what his times or speed was.

#3 ·
beansbaxter said:
I thought you didnt need to learn when to launch the 14, because doesnt it have a launch light for the perfect time to let the clutch out??
realy that is fucking nuts:crazyloco :crazyloco :crazyloco :crazyloco :crazyloco

#4 ·
beansbaxter said:
I thought you didnt need to learn when to launch the 14, because doesnt it have a launch light for the perfect time to let the clutch out??
the tree tells you when to go, don't know what you are talking about.

the SM said that it has a programable clutch but he couldn't give me any more information on it. I looked in the service manual and couldn't find anything about it. guess I'll have to read the owners manual when we get another one in.

#5 · (Edited)
uhhh

uhhh... the launch light is programable. You can set it to the RPM that you feel most comfortable to launch at. I have mine set at 4K RPM, it blinks, I twist the throttle and slip the clutch for a 1.68 60ft and a 9.78 in 1320ft.
To answer your "programmable cluch" thing... If you think that the 14 has a programmable clutch... you don't need to be riding one!!!:angry
06ZX-10R said:
the tree tells you when to go, don't know what you are talking about.

the SM said that it has a programable clutch but he couldn't give me any more information on it. I looked in the service manual and couldn't find anything about it. guess I'll have to read the owners manual when we get another one in.

#13 ·
uhhh... the launch light is programable. You can set it to the RPM that you feel most comfortable to launch at. I have mine set at 4K RPM, it blinks, I twist the throttle and slip the clutch for a 1.68 60ft and a 9.78 in 1320ft.
To answer your "programmable cluch" thing... If you think that the 14 has a programmable clutch... you don't need to be riding one!!!:angry
Man Vulture12..... you sound like a dick!

#6 ·
launch lights

just found out the 14 has a shift and launch light, just bought a 06 14 and did not have a owners manual and never heard the 14 had either , i just programmed the shift light but the launch light is inactive am i setting this up wrong what can i be missing, have a owners manual and still cant set this light

#7 ·
The programable shift light should be set to somewhere around 7800 rpm that is the max torque level at least for a stock 14 that is the area your bike is making the most torque and where you want to keep shifting to stay in that range. To high or low and you are not getting the most power to the ground.
I'm not sure about the launch light thing I must not be understanding the logic behind the statements? You can't launch till the lights drop but I do understand being ready for that to happen by of course being at the right rpm to launch as you start to feather the clutch in.

#9 ·
I think you are pretty wrong here. The ZX14 is making much more HP closer to its redline than at 7800. If you go to the dragstrip and are shifting at 7800 then I'm sure your not getting the quickest times out of the machine.
Tom

#8 ·
yes that is exactly all it does i know guys that use aftermarket ones and they say all it does is prepare them it takes away from staring at the tach and they can simply look at the lights to find there is one from the factory is a big thing just wish i could program it as easily the shift light

#14 ·
be a car or a bike, if u launch too high or close to redline u won't be doing the fastest u could do in a quarter. High rpm launches on the 14 will bring the front up, losing time in the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.