Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I'm a noob on here.. I've owned my blue 05 ZX-6R for 2 years now and I just went out to buy some new tires for my ninja.

I bought my tires not checking the size, but I was sold a 120/70ZR17 for the front.. I checked and the OEM size is 120/65ZR17, I called the shop and they said the 120/70ZR17 will work just as good. Is this true? or will I have problems with fender clearance? or other possible issues? Can anyone help me out here?!

I bought the new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT dual compound tires.. hope they are better than the BT-014s!

Here's a list of my current mods...

PCIII, Yoshimura carbon slip on, Puig race screen, OEM Euro side markers, Clear Alternatives integrated tail light.

·
Registered
151 Posts
you shouldn't have any prob with the fender clearance, but watch you leaning!!! I haven't really heared of going bigger in the front and i know u didn't do it on purpose but im sure the same thing kinda holds true for a front tire as a rear. I know if you put a larger tire on the rear your bike WOULD NOT feel the same in the corners. I don't know how long u been riding so if your exp i would say your ok, if your a new rider i would try to return it. if you do keep it be safe

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's ok to do this - everyone does this for any bike w/ a stock 120/65 tire. 120/70 gives you more sidewall (read more traction), but raises the front end, making the bike turn in slightly slower. To compensate, lower your front end 5mm. This is the #1 most common mod to modern sportbikes. Super-easy way to do this is loosen the upper & lower triple clamps and clipons, then take a rubber mallet and gently tap on each side of the upper triple until you start seeing the front drop 1mm at a time. Be careful not to loosen too much at once - it's a trial+ error process that works on every bike I've owned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's the info I was looking for. The 2CT's only come in 120/70. I've been trying to work out the geometry which is no small task given my math skills. So, anyone else looking, I'll share what I've found.

Size______Sidewall_____Radius____Diameter____Circumference___Difference
120/65-17......3.1"...........11.6"..........23.1"...............72.7".............0
120/70-17......3.3"...........11.8"..........23.6"...............74.2".............2.0%

I was looking for a formula or something to figure out how far to move the forks but, no luck. Considering a .2" increase in radius, I figured it wouldn't be much.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Leave it as it is! With the Michelins, your bike will handle much better in any case.(Nothing against the Bridgestones, I like them also, the BT015's and BT002's) The slightly larger profile will give you better high speed stability!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts