Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand a difference between 250's 6's and 9's, but once you reach 10's what's the point? Why buy a 10 when you can have a 12? Why a 12 when you can have 14? Why a 14 when you can save money and get a 9? I guess what I'm really asking is: Once you hit 1000cc can you really notice a difference in 200cc? Is this power even streetable? A 600cc bike, these days, can make 80+ horsepower and an assload of torque, which is more than enough to break 120 mph... quickly. So why spend the money on bike that will progressively get heavier with the bigger displacement? And why is there so many choices once you get to 1000+ cc?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm thinking it's about the type of riding you do maybe. I have the 6R and it's perfect for the majority of riding I do (short distance stuff). The 6 is fast & nimble so you can't beat it for the short haul riding (IMO).
If I did more longer distance riding I would probably want a 10 at least just for the added comfort & stability for longer haul, open highway riding yet still have the sport bike look & feel. Then again; there's people out there that just want the ultimate in power even though it may not be usable on the street :headscratch

Be interesting to hear from people who have the 10's or 10+ rides.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm thinking it's about the type of riding you do maybe. I have the 6R and it's perfect for the majority of riding I do (short distance stuff). The 6 is fast & nimble so you can't beat it for the short haul riding (IMO).
If I did more longer distance riding I would probably want a 10 at least just for the added comfort & stability for longer haul, open highway riding yet still have the sport bike look & feel. Then again; there's people out there that just want the ultimate in power even though it may not be usable on the street :headscratch

Be interesting to hear from people who have the 10's or 10+ rides.
For me its the power factor. I like the feel and delivery of the power from the 10 and the fact that you dont have to always drop gears as you do on the smaller bikes. Saying that, i must say that the 636 i had was also great and didnt need to many down changes. I still think the 10 is the better one though:crazyloco . I love the punch it gives

·
Registered
379 Posts
Then why did you go with a 10 instead of a 12 or even 14?
I dont like the looks of the 14 and i didnt even consider the 12 because i dont like the feel of the bike. If they come up with a new 10 or 14 that looks like the 04' 10 then i would probably consider it though. It was also the look of the bike that made me want the 04' 10.

The 10 is also quicker through the twisties than the 12 or 14 so i would say its the closest you can get to a hyper bike and sport bike in the Kawi range.

The Suzuki 750 is the closest to both, it you get what i mean

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The 10 (for me) is just the perfect compromise between the 6 and the 14. It has the look of the sport bike, without being bulky like a sport touring bike, and has more punch and more torque than the 6 does.

It's also for comfort. As Kenny said, I like not having to down shift, and to just roll on to pass on the highway.

I'm also 6'6" and 230lbs... so the 10 lends itself to a better riding postion for me. I've actually been on gixxer 1's and 1000RR's and find that the ZX10 is the most comfortable riding position for someone with my height/weight (again for me).

The 14 is a great bike, but it's big, and heavy... and the 10 is much more agile in the corners IMO.

The 12, although a great bike as well, is still big and bulky IMO... I have a friend that has one, and truth be told, I like the looks of mine much better,and he doesn't get away on me.... unless I let him.

I don't know if that helps you any. I guess the bottom line is, whatever your personal choice is, that's the way you should go... everyone is different.

The price difference from the 6 to the 10 was a minimal price for me to pay to gain torque, hp, and comfort.

The price of the 14 and the 10 are almost equal... so the agility, styling, and aggressive nature of the 10 was worth it.

However... I've seen the 14 in green +1 (special order I believe), and this just may be what my ass is parked on next year. :rotflmao

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've actually been on gixxer 1's and 1000RR's and find that the ZX10 is the most comfortable riding position for someone with my height/weight (again for me).
Same here. I sat on all of the liter bikes, and the Kawi was the most comfortable to me.:thumbup

·
Registered
366 Posts
It really depends on your riding style and use. The 6 is great, but the added HP/ Torque gives you ease of riding. You don't have to wind the bike up so much to go as fast. Also, there's been some mention here and there, that since high speeds are less stress on a 10 than a 6, that they last longer. But in any case, I constantly find myself on the freeway and speeding in 3rd gear with ease.

The 14 is a different animal altogether. It's 100lbs heavier than the 10. It's a sport touring really. I had an 11 once, and it could really turn hard, and the 14 is no joke when it comes to carving a canyon, but it's more work. Just look at what they did with the 14, they made it the new Concourse.

I like the 10 because its comfortable and easy to ride. I'm 6', and the 6 is a little cramped for me. The 14 is a little big. But the 10 is juuuuuuust right...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 14 is a great bike, but it's big, and heavy... and the 10 is much more agile in the corners IMO.

The 12, although a great bike as well, is still big and bulky IMO... I have a friend that has one, and truth be told, I like the looks of mine much better,and he doesn't get away on me.... unless I let him.

The price of the 14 and the 10 are almost equal... so the agility, styling, and aggressive nature of the 10 was worth it.
:rotflmao
This is kinda the stuff I'm looking for. But also, not so far as the bike, but for the engine size. How do you pick? Why get a 1000cc when you could get an 1100cc for probably the same price?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You see, it's not so much about the size of the engine, but about the whole bike. 1000cc bikes around around 400lbs. 1100~1400cc bikes are around 500lbs. They're automatically meant for different types of riding. 600cc bikes are basically in the same style of 1000cc bikes, but smaller (more cramped, less power, but cheaper). 1100+cc bikes are more for sport touring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, I like the 10R over any of the other bikes, I am a Kawi fan I have owned quite a few of them over the years, starting way back in the dark ages with a KX250. At this point in my life I can pretty much go out and buy any bike I want, and I did. I bought a new ZX10R. I tried alot of smaller bikes, alot of bigger bikes and the 10R has the feel and the power I want. I test rode a Busa, hated it. I didnt like the look of the 14 or the wieght, it handled stiffer than the 10 and it just didnt feel right. So bottom line for me is a bike has to feel right. The 10 does have alot of HP, you just have to remember that YOU control how much hits the rear wheel, with your right wrist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts