Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
much to my surprise yesterday after running some errands in the morning I parked the bike in the garage, 3 hours later i smelt the pungent odor of gas while doing some laundry, thought it might have been the weed eater, but then looked and saw gas running down the left side of the frame on the bike... first checked the filler cap, no leak there, then torn the seat off and checked the little house on rear of tank, no leak there... next step began to remove tank and discovered the tank pad was completely soaked with gasoline... the rubber flap covering the head/air box was wet with gasoline as well only on the topside that contacts the tankpad. This is puzzling and i can't find the leak the connection on the underside of the tank is not leaking either, since then i've left the filler cap open to decrease pressure in tank and there hasn't been any signs of further leaking like before... was hoping someone could shine some light on the issue before i bite the bullet and take it to the dealer, it is a full tank of gas with only 30 miles to the tank i'm open to all possibilities

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gas leak found!!!

Have you checked if the overflow line at the fill cap is connected right and if it may come from there?
The connections are correct, took it out for a ride today to see if the leak continued once pressured built up in the tank. Found the leak! There is a hairline crack :banghead on the underbelly of the tank in the bend closest to the frame fitting right side of the tank near the top does anyone have any ideas on how to fix or am I SOL and should invest in a new tank?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts