Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've now been riding a little over a month. The bike and I have just over 700 miles. My question is the limits on the Bridgestone Battleax's that came on the bike. My chicken strips are down to about 3/4 inch on the back tire.:scared Can I reliably go much farther?:eek:hno Also, what are the pros and cons of going to the 190/50-17 tire. I don't want to sacrifice handling for a bigger tire.
Thanks in advance.

Chris "TheReaper"

·
Registered
379 Posts
On those tyres on the road that is great, you can get to the edge but just make sure the road is hot and so are the tyres.

The bigger back tyre will make the bike slower to turn and will take more energy and input from you as a rider to go through the corners.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Zx 6 R Oem Tyre

HI THERE,
ON THE OEM BRIDGESTONES, THY ARE GREAT WHEELS FOR EVERY DAY USE AND A OCASIONALL TRACK DAY, AS FOR ROAD USE ME AND MY FATHER HAS TAKEN THE 015 REAR TO THE LIP OF THE TYRE WITH NO FEELING OF DISCOMFORT IN THEM, IF YOU WHANT SOMETHING STICKY GO FOR THE BRIDGESTONE 002s(SOFT) OR THE MICHELIN POWER RACE SOFT. .
IN REGARD TO GOING BIGGER ON THE REAR, DONT!!!
I DONT THINK IT WILL HELP ALOT ACCEPT MAYBE FOR LOOKS. AND YOUR HANDLING WIL BE MORE SLUGISH STICK WITH THE 180,55!
HOPE IT HELPS A LITTLE,

·
Registered
37 Posts
in a bit i can post a pic of my chicken strips....i got a little less that a quarter inch on the left and cant really see it on the right....I havent had a prob with these tires yet and got like 2100 on my '07...i think when i replace it i will get that same tire again...

·
Registered
102 Posts
im pretty much down to the edge of the tire as well..no need to go to a wider tire plus you would have to change the rim for it to fit right. a 190 tire on our bikes and rim will start to crown and you really dont want that..as far as another tire the bt002's in the street/race are very good and street legal or go with the michelin 2ct's also very good for street/track with a dual compound so the rubber is softer towards the edges. Stay away from race tires, first they are NOT street legal and will not last very long. Also they are NOT cheap.
Ill be going with the bt002's next

·
Registered
159 Posts
stick to 180 just got a nail on my pilot power fk atleast i got 2800 ml on that tire oh well gotta change it anyway....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Like Sakkie pointed out, we have taken that 015's right to the lip and the grip is still good (depends of course on the quality of the surface), but normally you should easily take them to the lip.

The Michelin Power Race tyre is not a out-and-out race tyre and is street legal. The compounds (although it says "Soft" frontand rear, is actually an "A" compound (softest) in front and a "E" compound rear (Medium soft)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's advice and opinions. I'm not planning on tires until I need them. I was just curious about the size difference. Now I know. I also feel more comfortable leaning knowing that ya'll have taken them to the edge. I've been holding back in the turns due to mental pictures of going lower and losing traction. Unfortunately, all the curvy roads near me have trees or large outcroppings of rock or sudden drops. That has caused some nervousness about expanding my abilities. Plus, it seem like everybody in my town but me has a :rant gravel driveway that spills into the road.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for everyone's advice and opinions. I'm not planning on tires until I need them. I was just curious about the size difference. Now I know. I also feel more comfortable leaning knowing that ya'll have taken them to the edge. I've been holding back in the turns due to mental pictures of going lower and losing traction. Unfortunately, all the curvy roads near me have trees or large outcroppings of rock or sudden drops. That has caused some nervousness about expanding my abilities. Plus, it seem like everybody in my town but me has a :rant gravel driveway that spills into the road.
Damn, I thought you were here in WV. We had some hard rains lately that have washed a lot of damn gravel onto the road. :rant

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a little less than 1/8 inch on both sides......3k miles on them. The tires are great, although I will switch them to Dunlops after these......if the bike did not come with a bigger tire...don't put it on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run dunlop 195/70 rear and 125 front on my race bike, and they handle great. Some benefits of a SLIGHTLY larger tire... Less wear- the larger contact patch spreads out stresses over a wider area, resulting in substantially longer tire life. I don't know if this will provide as much benefit on the street, since you will wear out the center of the tire long before the sides are worn out... better traction- ya just can't beat rubber on the road, and certainly on the street, with the questionable surfaces you find yourself on, the more traction the better! The downside is the added tire mass which has "some" negative effect on acceleration. I haven't noticed it on the track, so I SERIOUSLY doubt that you will notice it on the street.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like glue baby!!!

That's the farthest that I have a pic of leaning it over... Tires stuck like glue.

They did begin to get a little greasy on the exit of this turn about 1/2 way through the endurance race, but it was 100 degrees outside, and this was the 4th race weekend on those tires (Thats a lot of mileage out of one set of race tires) and even when they did start to slide a little, it was small controllable stuff under full throttle on corner exits... hell, I didn't even have to get off the gas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts