Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got about 8500 miles on my bike.

The gas tank is loose, it wobbles from side to side. I checked the front bolts, they're tightened properly. Checked the bolt on the rear its sufficiently tight. Seems like the rubber bushings have a lot of give.

Anybody else w/ a loose gas tank?

·
Registered
317 Posts
mine wobbles too but just yesterday for the first time when i was backing up my bike, the gas tank was making these squeaking noises...oh well...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I don't know if its good or bad that other people have had the problem. :D Guess I'll look for a solution soon.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If it is what im thinking...
It is a rubber bushing with a metal "sleeve" going through it keeping
the tank from having a tight bolt down?

Ive got the same prob with my taillight.(2001)

It seems Kawai always does this some where on a bike!
Even my 74 Z1 for the headlight.

Anyway...
I got a washer that had the same size hole (I.D.) so the "sleeve"
can go through.
(you may need to grind down the O.D. if there is a clearance issue)
Put one on each side of the "bushing" and it will allow the tank to
compress the rubber, making a tighter bolt down.

I hope that helps you out.
(I hope it was what you were talking about too. lol)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine has a bit of movement too, but it's really small side to side and not a loose wobble, seems like it was designed that way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah my buddy was taking a look at my 07 one day and we realized it...everything is securely mounted and there is what seems like a rubber bushing in the front. I do notice that my fender likes to bounce around as well, and it actually rattled my left turn signal out of its place, which wasnt properly installed in the first place....cant wait for hot bodies

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I know the rubber bushing (rear of tank) is there for shock dampening. But this is way too loose. It should still be firm w/ just a little shock dampening.

I had to do a bunch of other prep work for my trackday tomorrow so I'll pull the tank off and find a fix when I get back.

raized said:
Put one on each side of the "bushing" and it will allow the tank to
compress the rubber, making a tighter bolt down.
Yeah man I'll give that a shot first and see if it stiffens up a bit.

pic of prepped zix :smile

Oh and this cuz it's hot

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fortunately the tank didn't bother me at the track. Guess I had too many other things going on and didn't pay attention to it. :crazyloco

Tank is coming off this week. Oh and woot;

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know what is the problem.
When you loose front two bolts on the tank, under the tank must be two square rubber dampers. They are glued under the tank.Inspect this and use a stronger glue to fix it.It is easy to see it.Just raise the front of the tank a little bit and you will see it.Loose only front two bolts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know what is the problem.
When you loose front two bolts on the tank, under the tank must be two square rubber dampers. They are glued under the tank.Inspect this and use a stronger glue to fix it.It is easy to see it.Just raise the front of the tank a little bit and you will see it.Loose only front two bolts.

I'll take a look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have the exact same issue with my tank on my 08 zx6r, got a slight wobble from side to side, bolts are on as tight as possible

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's good, I freaked out when I thought mine was loose...noticed when I first got the bike used...took the tank off, checked the bushings....it's rubber mounted, and the rubber pieces are pretty soft....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts