Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I don't mean 2 start up an arguement or anything b/c I know we like family and e'rythang, but... Anyone be able 2 tell the difference, performance wise, between the 636 and the new 6? Would the '07 zx-6 be able 2 keep up in a race vs. the 636? What are the performance differences?

·
Registered
379 Posts
On a track the 07 will take the 636 as it is a track bias bike but road riding is where the 636 will make the 07 look a bit silly. I had the 636 and a mate owns a Kawi dealership here in SA and i tested the 07 and i can honestly say that it is an amazing bike but on road its just not the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what is so different. I have talked to different people and say they all want to trade in their 05 and 06 for the 07. If it kills on the track, why so bad on teh street. The way it handles or what

·
Registered
379 Posts
No the way it handles is something that you can on say is amazing. It points and turns the way you want it to. Street riding requires just that little bit of extra grunt that the 636 has in the mid range. When on the track you can ride blipping the throttle and keeping the motor singing around the power range from about 10000 but in the street you dont want to have to always keep the bike on the boil as you have to many other things to look out for such as cars and other silly things. Rain is another thing that is a consideration. If you have to keep a bike in the boil all the time to get going then in rain you have to take a lot more care as you need to rev harder to get any place.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It all boils down to the rider really. I know some riders that would be faster on a CBR-F2 than me on an '07! But that is for the track only. In the real world riding you will only notice the ergo's, suspension damping, and weight differences, maybe some missing mid range grunt on the '07 but the differences are SO small only 20 or 30% of the riders will notice and at that only at a 90-100% pace...

·
Registered
12 Posts
It all boils down to the rider really. I know some riders that would be faster on a CBR-F2 than me on an '07! But that is for the track only. In the real world riding you will only notice the ergo's, suspension damping, and weight differences, maybe some missing mid range grunt on the '07 but the differences are SO small only 20 or 30% of the riders will notice and at that only at a 90-100% pace...
AMEN BROTHER! Any one can have a fast bike, but can they ride it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So overall, powerwise the 07' and the 636 are about the same?? Would you at this point trade the 636 for the 07?

·
Registered
159 Posts
So overall, powerwise the 07' and the 636 are about the same?? Would you at this point trade the 636 for the 07?
i wont trade my bike for the 07 probibly next bike is a vtwin like ktm super duke or aprilla tuono i want one sport bike and one naked bike....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi guys, just bought the new ZX6R here in South Africa. Our version push 125PS vs. 118 of the American model.(Some stupid regulation there I suppose)

Well I have never ridden the 636, but also own a '07 ZX10R, and yes, you have to push the ZX6R a bit to really get it going, but when this thing gets going for a 600cc, it really goes!! You don't need to keep it on the boil for street riding and I find it easier in city than the ZX10R with it's extra tall first gear. So I suppose it is all down to the rider how you want to ride it.

Check out the results of the latest AMA supersport series as well as the WSB Supersport!!!!! Wins allround!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alright all you 636er's... I'll agree, right now you've got a little bit more on the bottom end then we 6R's. Just remember... new bike. We're still waiting on alot of upgrades. And on the pure intimidation end of things, I've got to ask you...

Where does your tach stop? :nana

·
Registered
92 Posts
Basically the '07 has higher (marginally higher) peak torque and HP but it comes higher in the RPM band and at the loss of range. I wouldn't trade my '05 in for the '07 on that alone nevermind I would have to go and buy a new damper, rearsets, and sliders...It just isn't that big an improvement over the previous model. Plus the kicker is the oil filter is now above the crank case making maintenance a messy chore!!:nana

·
Registered
38 Posts
the 06 if you do the jumper wire mod, will have the same red line as the 07 16500. but for the street you will never need that high of a red line. but on the track it means that you can hold a gear londer instead of switching up. i will keep my 06 just beacsue its going to be way better than any 07 will ever be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
still... no mods and 16.5, it's gonna go up. guys guys guys. I don't want to stir the pot, just pokin fun, they are both bad ass bikes. I like the look of the new ones better. And i've heard it time and time again.... It's not the bike, It's the crazy bastard on the back. I thought everyone was on the same team here?

·
Registered
532 Posts
u guys read the shoot out yet http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4514&Page=1 im glad i got the 05 cant beat the engine on an 05 zx
I wonder how may miles did that ZX6R had on when they did that shootout?

If they test one with the European spec, the picture will look totally different!

If you can get the mod done to get to the European spec, do it! the increase in output doesn't seem much, but I tell you, 7-10 hp at 1200rpm higher makes a hell of a difference

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have rode the 07 and it's great stock. Not enough for me to want to switch from my modded 05. If you have a stock 05-06 then the 07 will be a great improvment and give you a great platform for mods. If your 05-06 has the typical mods.. ie: full exh, tuned PC3, damper, tires, rearsets, braided lines, up 3 teeth rear or down 1 front, and your suspension dialed in then the 07 is not going to be worth the switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aight my buddy has an 06 636 that i have riden several times and i just bought an 07 6R I think the 07 is all around a better bike it handles like none other and the power is almost perfect not to mention bein able to shift at full throttle no clutch also the slipper clutch is very handy not sure if the 636 was equipped with that? When it comes to looks of the bike the 07 makes the 636 look like a dragqueen. No offensed i still think the 636 is a great bike i was gonna buy one untill i seen the 07.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 07 zx6r and i raced my buddies 06 636 last night. His bike has a pipe and mine is totally stock. We raced twice...on the first one he got the jump by about 1/2 a bike but then it was even all the way to about 130 and i started inching back. On the second one i got the jump and i stayed ahead until about 130 and then started inching away again. Also, he has been riding for a while, i think 2 years. This is my first bike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I made my '05 a "euro" version. Just added a race kit ECU. Instant hp with ignition advance, fuel optimization, and the exhaust valve stays open to redline (what the "jumper mod" does). Why waste money on a pipe, power commander, and a dyno tune when you can just plug and play?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts