Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I am new to the forum and am looking at getting an 07 ZX-6r next week. I currently have an 06 Ninja 650R, which is my third street bike in the last 14 years. I really like the looks of the new Ninja, but after reading a few of the different forums, am a little bit concerned with the problems folks have been reporting.
What is the percentage of owners of the 07 that have had the TICKING sound of doom or the oil leak problems? Of the ones that have had the problem, how many have done the jumper mod (can't see how it would make a difference, but thought I'd ask)?
My 650R is rock solid and I don't want to get something that is going to spend weeks at a time at the dealership waiting for parts.

Thanks for any feedback.

By the way, I'm getting a silver bike with an 03/07 build date.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a black one with 03/07. The great thing about the 07 is that you'll find a sweet price on it, and most if not all of the issues have been identified and a solution has been found. So if yours starts ticking you know immediately what it is and what to do about it. Anyway I've only gone up to 6k on the tach and I already love it. The bike is really nimble and solid through corners.

·
Registered
116 Posts
3/07 build date here as well. 800 miles on the clock, had it to 16,000 with no issues. The thing about a BBS is all the bad things are reported here 1st. There was a thread about a month ago and it consisted of this very topic. When asked there were a lot more people that didn't have issues vs. those who were having issues. Anything built in large qty's will have issues.

I say if you like it go buy the thing and let us know how long it takes you to stop smiling:smile Good luck.

BTW - I would buy one today even after hearing of the problems and participating in the discussions on the BBS

·
Registered
275 Posts
the problems have been identified to only be a faction of 1% of the bikes. I "thought" mine was ticking but they took the bike apart and assured me it is working perfectly fine. I wake up every morning and im still so happy i bought it. Its only my opinion but i think all the other 600s from 2007 are ugly

·
Registered
103 Posts
Personally I would wait for the 08 models, just wait a few more months. Gonna be the same bike just diff colors and any problems they might have had with the 07's will be a lot better in the 08 model

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate on buying a '07, and you are probably getting a sweet deal this late in the season. Sometimes you have to look at the forums with a little objectivity. Kawis have had some issues, but if you look hard enough on other forums or talk to some owners of the other big companies (honda, sus, yam) they have their headaches too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
iv had mine 1 month, done 700 miles, red lined it out the crate, its my 4th ninja and im lovin it!!! had a hornet 600 courtesy bike while they did the 600m service and i was sooo excited about gettin the z back again! it rocks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i also have 03/07 bike has almost 5000 miles on it, did not redline it until over 1000 just to be safe and not a problem yet, very pleased with my zixxer.. havent tried the jumper mod yet but strongly considering it, just worried about the voiding the warranty..and remember youll hear alot of bad issues on forums but trust me youll be pleased once you chicken wing it and take it to redline!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello everybody. mines an 02/07 i think i hear the ticking, but havent been to worried. Part of me thinks its just me, it is my first bike, an first time rider, have it at 500m, gonna go to 1000m to see if it persists or gets any worse, then ill definetly take it in. Ive gone up to 11k rpm a few times, other than that i keep it low mid 7's. I love it. The manu date is on the black VIN decal on the frame, infront of the tank, RH side.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hello everybody. mines an 02/07 i think i hear the ticking, but havent been to worried. Part of me thinks its just me, it is my first bike, an first time rider, have it at 500m, gonna go to 1000m to see if it persists or gets any worse, then ill definetly take it in. Ive gone up to 11k rpm a few times, other than that i keep it low mid 7's. I love it. The manu date is on the black VIN decal on the frame, infront of the tank, RH side.
the ticking is your rockers tapping the valves cause the engine is cold, thats why it goes away once the engine is warm, but if it doesn't go away, then you have a rocker loose or a valve is bad

·
Registered
80 Posts
ticking

the ticking might not be the vlaves at all, they have an issue with the cam chain tensioner spring just had my 06 in for a ticking noise, didnt start till 13k miles on it though, my bikes been redlined in every gear a few times, got it august of 06 and spent 8 months away in afghanistan and still racked up the miles,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts